• Post Thanks / Like

Post Perfect Tense for learners'

I am currently writing an assignment on the learners' I have in my class. My students have a problem with the Perfect Tense e.g. 'I lived in the uk since ten years' instead of 'I have lived'. I recognise that for some they have directly translated this from there language such as spanish as they would say it in this way, but most of my learners' are from Pakistan and India. Does anyone know if the Perfect Tense exists in these languages or whether they are directly translating to make this mistake. I need to provide evidence from their backgroounds that make the Perfect Tense a hard thing for the to grasp.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perfect Tense for learners'

Quote Originally Posted by Lex90210 View Post
    I am currently writing an assignment on the learners' I have in my class. My students have a problem with the Perfect Tense e.g. 'I lived in the uk since ten years' instead of 'I have lived'. I recognise that for some they have directly translated this from there language such as spanish as they would say it in this way, but most of my learners' are from Pakistan and India. Does anyone know if the Perfect Tense exists in these languages or whether they are directly translating to make this mistake. I need to provide evidence from their backgroounds that make the Perfect Tense a hard thing for the to grasp.
    I know that Hindi and Urdu have present and past perfect tenses, but these are only two of hundreds of languages in India and Pakistan.

There are lots of web hits for "'Present perfect' Hindi"
    StateMaster - Encyclopedia: Hindi grammar

If you don't get a useful reply, maybe you could post in the "Other Languages" forum, and put "Indian languages" in the title.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perfect Tense for learners'

Quote Originally Posted by Lex90210 View Post
    I don't know anything about what you're asking so I can't answer.

I'm writing because your post confuses me a lot. Do you say it's correct to say "I have lived in the UK since ten years"? Shouldn't it be "for"?

Also, why do you write "learners'" with an apostrophe at the end of it?