Thread: aware/awareness

• Post Thanks / Like

aware/awareness

I often see expressions like 'political awareness' or 'he is politically aware',
    but can 'aware' and 'awareness' be used in other cases?

For example, 'environmental awareness' and 'environmentally aware' are correct?

'The introduction of environmental taxes would raise the environmental awareness of the people.' OR 'The taxes would make the people environmentally aware.' These sentences mean that the taxes would make the people more interested in environment issues.

Also, I guess the same is the case with 'educational awareness' and 'educationally' aware. Is this correct?

Or is there any other case in which 'Adjective + awareness' and 'Adverb + aware' can be used?

Thank you in advance.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: aware/awareness

I can see no limit to what we can be aware of or have an awareness of, Pman, as long as it refers to a topic of some complexity.

• Post Thanks / Like

Mister Micawber, thank you for your response. Also I appreciate your reply about 'so much/considerable' distinction.

>as long as it refers to a topic of some complexity.

For example, can 'environmental', 'political', 'legal', 'educational', 'technological', 'medical', 'scientific' and 'philosophical' be connected to 'awareness'?
    And can all of their adverb forms be connected to 'aware'?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and social, cultural, sociocultural, financial, religious, spiritual, interpersonal also come to mind. In thinking, though, I found many 'complex' topics that do not lend themselves well to this treatment. Such specialties as anthropological, geological, judicial, legislative, dental sound a little odd in those collocations.