Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"My girlfriend is in her room. She was not feeling well this morning."

I thought "feel" requires Simple Tense not Progressive. Shouldn't it be "She didn't feel well this morning"? We say "How do you feel"? not "How are you feeling?"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"My girlfriend is in her room. She was not feeling well this morning."

I thought "feel" requires Simple Tense not Progressive. Shouldn't it be "She didn't feel well this morning"? We say "How do you feel"? not "How are you feeling?"

Both work.

In fact, we do say "How are you feeling?" especially when we know the person hasn't been feeling well lately.

I had a terrible cold this week. My husband called me at work as asked me, "How are you feeling?"

It emphasizes that how you feel right now is temporary. It will change. My cold will go away, and I will feel fine again, but right now, I'm still feeling pretty lousy.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Both work.

In fact, we do say "How are you feeling?" especially when we know the person hasn't been feeling well lately.

I had a terrible cold this week. My husband called me at work as asked me, "How are you feeling?"

It emphasizes that how you feel right now is temporary. It will change. My cold will go away, and I will feel fine again, but right now, I'm still feeling pretty lousy.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.