• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a cause of a bottleneck

Hello!
    The other day I asked a group of students I teach to make up stories or dialogues based on the idioms we are currently studying.
    One of the students sent me her assignment. I looked through, and some of the sentences just sound awkward to my ear.

The only reason is that you frequently become a cause of a bottleneck in the middle of the whole process. (a bottleneck is one of the words we are learning)

What I meant to say is that for example now our executive manager is thinking of whether to take a brand down market or not, and you process the latest data. ( to take a brand down market is another expression we are learning)

Do these sentences sound OK to a native speaker's ear? To mine, they do not.
    I do understand how difficult it is for a student to make up a story or dialogue using idioms. They just do not have enough experience yet.

Thank you in advance.

vectra is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a cause of a bottleneck

Hi Gill,
    Thank you very much indeed for your help.
    As for the expression TO TAKE A BRAND DOWNMARKET, our book of idioms gives the following definition: to sell premium brands cheaper.
    The thing is we are currently working at revising the six books of idioms our students use. Some of the expressions sound out of place, I do not remember ever coming across them in the context they are in the books.
    That is the reason I bothered you in summer, asking to look at them the way they are in the books, plus some exercises we made up. I really am sorry for my being so cheeky.
    I always share the feedback I receive with my students and encourage them to register and post their questions. Slowly but surely they have started to take an interest.
    Once again, thanks a lot.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a cause of a bottleneck

It's not clear to me why the person is a bottleneck simply by processing the data, which is their job. To b a bottleneck, the person would have to prevent the data moving at a satisfactory rate so that things didn't progress properly.