Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 23) The idiot man

    23) The idiot man

    A man had been steering ahead him ten donkeys. So when he rides one of them and recounts them he got them nine donkeys. And when he got down one of them he got them ten, because he didn’t count the one that he was riding. The man said, “I will not ride any of them anymore, because my donkeys decrease one when I ride one of them and increase one when I got down of them.” So when he had told the people about this they had laughed at him and he was know what they were laughing about.

  2. #2
    euncu's Avatar
    euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Some of our members would be happy to answer your question if you had one. You, as a "Key Member", definitely know this much better than me.

    I hope you won't take my post as an offensive one because it is not. I just felt obliged to interrupt on behalf of the members who, either not following your posts or have forgotten the way you ask on your previous threads.

  3. #3
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Some of our members would be happy to answer your question if you had one. You, as a "Key Member", definitely know this much better than me.

    I hope you won't take my post as an offensive one because it is not. I just felt obliged to interrupt on behalf of the members who, either not following your posts or have forgotten the way you ask on your previous threads.
    I didn’t clarify my question because my teachers know what I need. I would clarify it right now.

    What I need is proofreading and I would be grateful for the member who helps me in my studying.

    Thank you for the reminding.

  4. #4
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Please help. Just proofreading
    Last edited by Atchan; 29-Sep-2010 at 16:51.

  5. #5
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Help!

  6. #6
    birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Quote Originally Posted by Atchan View Post
    23) The idiot man

    A man had been steering ahead him ten donkeys. So when he rides one of them and recounts them he got them nine donkeys. And when he got down one of them he got them ten, because he didn’t count the one that he was riding. The man said, “I will not ride any of them anymore, because my donkeys decrease one when I ride one of them and increase one when I got down of them.” So when he had told the people about this they had laughed at him and he was know what they were laughing about.
    OK, I'll answer since nobody else seems to be interested. As you know very well, I'm a non-native speaker of English which makes my help less valuable.

    Before any attempt at proofreading, I'd like you to put some more effort into this. I'll ask you some questions. Please, try answering them and correcting your anecdote according to your answers.

    1. Do you want to tell it as if it was happening at the time of telling ("now")? Or do you want to tell it as if it was happening in the past?

    2. What tenses are appropriate for your choice?

    3. Which tenses should you use in your sentences and why?

  7. #7
    Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    OK, I'll answer since nobody else seems to be interested. As you know very well, I'm a non-native speaker of English which makes my help less valuable.

    Before any attempt at proofreading, I'd like you to put some more effort into this. I'll ask you some questions. Please, try answering them and correcting your anecdote according to your answers.

    1. Do you want to tell it as if it was happening at the time of telling ("now")? Or do you want to tell it as if it was happening in the past?
    I am only translated something written in my old book, so depending on the story it happened in the past.

    2. What tenses are appropriate for your choice?
    It is something happened in the past, so I think simple past, past continuous and Past Continuous Perfect Tense are the appropriate tenses for this happened story.

    3. Which tenses should you use in your sentences and why?
    Simple past, past continuous and Past Continuous Perfect Tenses because it is story that happened in the past.
    Thank you birdeen for your help.
    Last edited by Atchan; 30-Sep-2010 at 03:12.

  8. #8
    jerry081958's Avatar
    jerry081958 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Hi, Atchan,

    Let me try to translate your story best I can understand your story and your English.

    Quote Originally Posted by Atchan View Post
    The Foolish Man

    One day, there was a foolish man walking down the road with ten donkeys out ahead of him. After a while, he became tired and started to ride one of them. He looked and counted the donkeys and noticed that there were only nine donkeys. He wondered to himself, where did that other donkey go? One is missing. That is strange. After a while later, he got down from riding and started walking again. Once again, he counted all the donkeys and noticed that there were ten again! He exclaimed, "This is amazing! I have 10 again. How can this be?" In his frustration the man said, “That is it! I will not ride any of them anymore. When I ride one of the donkeys, one of them goes away. And when I start walking again, a donkey appears!"

    Later the foolish man arrived to his destination. So when he had told the people about his journey and how the donkeys would disappear and reappear, they all laughed him to scorn. The poor foolish man looked so sad; he never understood what they were laughing about.
    Did I understand your story correctly?

  9. #9
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Good work, Jerry - I like it.

    Atchan, study that and learn.

    Rover

  10. #10
    birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 23) The idiot man

    Atchan, I don't think there's a way for you to improve your story yourself now that it's been improved by someone else. Jerry did a tremendous job and as Rover says you should learn from it.

    But I think it would be very bad if you hadn't an idea what your biggest problems were. Since native speakers have joined the thread, I hope they will tell you (and me).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] This man is worth speaking to. This man is worth adressing.
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-May-2010, 15:54
  2. [Grammar] He is a skilled man vs he is a skillful man?
    By kwfine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Oct-2009, 04:57
  3. 'guv' = a man OR an important man?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jun-2009, 20:24
  4. [Grammar] Man(human) man(male) men (plural) and the definite article...+adverbs
    By Maluues in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2008, 00:09
  5. Suggestions for man to man classes
    By Bien Gruba III in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2005, 16:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •