Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default overspill solution

    What would "overspill solutuion" mean?

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: overspill solution

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What would "overspill solution" mean?
    It would depend on context.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 30-Sep-2010 at 07:39.

  3. #3
    jerry081958's Avatar
    jerry081958 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: overspill solution

    It would depend on the context, I you mean. Please use it in a sentence at least. :)

  4. #4
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: overspill solution

    Overspill is where there are too many or too much of something for an area- you can have overspill where there are too many people, cars, etc, in a city, for instance, so the solution would depend on the type of overspill.

  5. #5
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: overspill solution

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Overspill is where there are too many or too much of something for an area- you can have overspill where there are too many people, cars, etc, in a city, for instance, so the solution would depend on the type of overspill.
    Overspill solution: Turn your detail deluge into a compliment by saying "You're so easy to talk to."

  6. #6
    jerry081958's Avatar
    jerry081958 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: overspill solution

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Overspill solution: Turn your detail deluge into a compliment by saying "You're so easy to talk to."
    It sounds like the writer is trying to say the following:

    If you find yourself in a situation where you realize that are talking way too much, here is a solution to the situation. Give the person you have been talking to a complement, telling them they are 'easy to talk to' and that they are such good listener. This takes the focus off of your 'overspill' or talking too much and shifts the focus to your weary listener, trying to make them feel good about their patient listening, at least.

  7. #7
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: overspill solution

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry081958 View Post
    It sounds like the writer is trying to say the following:

    If you find yourself in a situation where you realize that are talking way too much, here is a solution to the situation. Give the person you have been talking to a complement, telling them they are 'easy to talk to' and that they are such good listener. This takes the focus off of your 'overspill' or talking too much and shifts the focus to your weary listener, trying to make them feel good about their patient listening, at least.
    Judging from the posts given above "overspill" means too much or too many?

Similar Threads

  1. solution for bulling
    By sandy4 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2010, 19:13
  2. solution or answer ?
    By nado92 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2010, 15:28
  3. [Vocabulary] decision vs. solution
    By Jack8rkin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2010, 13:56
  4. [General] riddle solution
    By ljp320@sbcglobal.net in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2010, 02:40
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2007, 11:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •