Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    vectra's Avatar
    vectra is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    Hello!
    Could you tell me if the following sentences sound OK?
    Helen has been called to the office of her boss, Andrea. (some sentences from their dialogue)
    Helen: Oh dear! Is there some problem? I do love working here and I have been pulling out all the stops recently (to pull out all the stops is an idiom we are learning) to be promoted to a senior receptionist position.
    Andrea: Yes, I'm sure you have, Helen, but sometimes you are rather slow at learning. In a hotel of this reputation, every employee has to pull their weight (to pull one's weight is another idiom my students are currently learning) for us to stay ahead of the pack (ahead of the pack is another idiom).
    There are some things you are good at, like welcoming the guests, talking to them and giving them any help they require. Most of them are very picky, always on the make (to be on the make is another idiom), and expect the highest quality service.
    As I make up these dialogues myself, I sometimes would like to hear native speakers' opinion about the idioms and collocations I use.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you for your time and help.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    Quote Originally Posted by vectra View Post
    Hello!
    Could you tell me if the following sentences sound OK?
    Helen has been called to the office of her boss, Andrea. (some sentences from their dialogue)
    Helen: Oh dear! Is there some problem? I do love working here and I have been pulling out all the stops recently (to pull out all the stops is an idiom we are learning) to be promoted to a senior receptionist position.
    Andrea: Yes, I'm sure you have, Helen, but sometimes you are rather slow at learning. In a hotel of this reputation, every employee has to pull their weight (to pull one's weight is another idiom my students are currently learning) for us to stay ahead of the pack (ahead of the pack is another idiom).
    There are some things you are good at, like welcoming the guests, talking to them and giving them any help they require. Most of them are very picky, always on the make (to be on the make is another idiom), and expect the highest quality service.
    As I make up these dialogues myself, I sometimes would like to hear native speakers' opinion about the idioms and collocations I use.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you for your time and help.
    The others are OK but I don't think this is an appropriate use of "always on the make".
    "Most of them are very picky, always on the make (to be on the make is another idiom), and expect the highest quality service."

  3. #3
    vectra's Avatar
    vectra is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    Hello!
    In the book of idioms I use the idiom 'to be on the make' has the following definition: concerned with making a profit, gaining sth.
    If you understand this idiom in the text I posted in a different light, please enlighten me.
    I have always tried to get rid of ambiguous words and expressions. The books were written some years ago, and some corrections should be made.

    Yours,

  4. #4
    Leandro-Z's Avatar
    Leandro-Z is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    If you are on the make you are interested in getting money or an adventage for yourself.

  5. #5
    vectra's Avatar
    vectra is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    Hello!
    Thank you for the tips regarding 'to be on the make'. I will definitely remove it from my story just to be on the safe side. For some of my colleagues the information you provided me with was a real eye-opener, which proves a simple truth - live and learn.
    And, as a result, a couple of questions again if you do not mind.

    These are the lines from my story:
    Andrea: And what about you accepting that booking for the penthouse suite at the weekend when we were using it for a conference? It was very careless of you to do that. Our customers might have thought you wanted to PULL A FAST ONE ON THEM and pocket the money.
    I do not like TO PULL RANK OVER my employees, but it is time I PULLED THE PLUG ON you. You've got a month to PULL YOUR FINGER OUT and prove to me that you can do the job efficiently.
    to pull a fast one on
    to pull rank over
    to pull the plug on
    to pull one's finger out
    These are the idioms we teach our students. I am a bit unsure about TO PULL ONE'S FINGER OUT. Is it OK to use it in this dialogue?

    Thank you a lot for your invaluable help.

  6. #6
    SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    It seems rather rude.

  7. #7
    vectra's Avatar
    vectra is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    Thank you for such a prompt reply, but do you want to say that this part of the dialogue is rude and I have to redo it, or did you mean the idiom PULL ONE'S FINGER OUT.
    Could you clarify, please. I am all needles and pins.

  8. #8
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    Quote Originally Posted by vectra View Post
    Hello!
    Thank you for the tips regarding 'to be on the make'. I will definitely remove it from my story just to be on the safe side. For some of my colleagues the information you provided me with was a real eye-opener, which proves a simple truth - live and learn.
    And, as a result, a couple of questions again if you do not mind.


    These are the idioms we teach our students. I am a bit unsure about TO PULL ONE'S FINGER OUT. Is it OK to use it in this dialogue?

    Thank you a lot for your invaluable help.
    It is something that is used in BrE, but it's quite aggressive and, as Dave suggested, in it's original meaning rather rude.
    Regarding "to be on the make", in BrE it can be applied to somebody who is seeking financial gain. I hadn't considered the sexual implications mentioned by Gilnetter, which I think are mainly in AmE. I just didn't think it was a very good use of it.

  9. #9
    vectra's Avatar
    vectra is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    Thank you very much indeed! I guess tomorrow there will be a very heated discussion during a sitting of the Department.

  10. #10
    SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have been pulling out all the stops recently

    Quote Originally Posted by vectra View Post
    Thank you for such a prompt reply, but do you want to say that this part of the dialogue is rude and I have to redo it, or did you mean the idiom PULL ONE'S FINGER OUT.
    Could you clarify, please. I am all needles and pins.
    The idea I get from "pull your finger out" is that you are removing it from your rectum. Not something I would suggest in polite company.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Further on Glottal Stops, please
    By Mehrgan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2009, 15:57
  2. Glottal Stops?
    By Mehrgan in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2009, 13:54
  3. Double full stops
    By BRIAN999 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2007, 00:35
  4. someone, stops me
    By akadirbil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2007, 13:44
  5. Pull out all the stops
    By MW in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2006, 10:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •