Let the games begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil wiener

Member Type
Student or Learner
thank you frank for your great postings you seem like a very nice guy!

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, thank you.

I don't know if I deserve that, but it is appreciated. I am on quite a different tack with my students right now. I don't know where it will go. In the meantime, you might be interested to watch their website develop.

You will find it at <humanitynotes.webs.com>. It is constantly surprising me. Today, before I taught one of my classes, I looked and saw that the notes for my class were already online because I had taught it that morning.

My students are not all angels, and I have to deal with the unruly in the midst of the excitement. But, I suppose, that is the way it always is -- at least in a public school.

Today I had to shut down competitive sentence diagramming [hf. CSD] completely in one class because it was too excited.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yeah, about the notes that were already online, Josh and I were working on the site in 2nd period (Mrs. Vent's class) and 5th period (Mrs. Guyer). Right now, I am trying to learn or get a CSS (CSS is like html) template for the site. I posted a question on Yahoo Answers for someone to find a good template for me but I don't know if anyone will reply to the question.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Once again, you are beyond me.

Maybe someone on THIS forum knows what you mean and can help.

Frank

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Once again, you are beyond me.

Maybe someone on THIS forum knows what you mean and can help.

Frank

I hope someone can help somewhere in the world.:-D If not, there is a site where I can download a template or I can just use the one we have right now.:cry:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
The notes are fine Rummel. Congratulations!

I just would like to state I don't really grasp why math is not considered
'humanities' despite the fact that they are defined as the study of
human expression
(Introduction: Introduction - Notes for Humanities/Language).
I know this is a little off topic but I couldn't move on without saying it.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I can tell you Mr. A, the few times I have done it, I have loved it, we need to do it more in class, I came home today and noticed I had started doing it on the back of my math... Oops!:lol: Now I find myself wondering "What will tomorrow bring?"

Dane,
I understand what you mean. I very excited about sentence diagramming, even though I not sure if I'm very good at it. Sometimes when I'm bored, I will find myself diagramming sentences on random pieces of paper. Even on the back of my report card... Bad idea:oops: Now I always make sure to look on the back of papers before I write on them.

Haylee

lil wiener

Member Type
Student or Learner
Well, thank you.

I don't know if I deserve that, but it is appreciated. I am on quite a different tack with my students right now. I don't know where it will go. In the meantime, you might be interested to watch their website develop.

You will find it at <humanitynotes.webs.com>. It is constantly surprising me. Today, before I taught one of my classes, I looked and saw that the notes for my class were already online because I had taught it that morning.

My students are not all angels, and I have to deal with the unruly in the midst of the excitement. But, I suppose, that is the way it always is -- at least in a public school.

Today I had to shut down competitive sentence diagramming [hf. CSD] completely in one class because it was too excited.
You have done a great job with this class I checked out that website to that is magnificent work By your students. I hope many people get the word about that site

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Again, Thanks!

I too think it is pretty amazing. The kids are pretty excited about it. If you have any suggestions, pass them on.

The kids are thinking about putting a "gloss" around the basic text.

Maybe you would want to join the site. That would get them excited!

Frank

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The notes are fine Rummel. Congratulations!

I just would like to state I don't really grasp why math is not considered
'humanities' despite the fact that they are defined as the study of
human expression
(Introduction: Introduction - Notes for Humanities/Language).
I know this is a little off topic but I couldn't move on without saying it.

I explain to the kids that 2+2 = 4 we think of as being true whether humans think so or not. Math and so much of science I tell them could be considered the study of God's expression (if one believes in God). This is the kind of discussion that would go well in a gloss.

(Later, I explain to the kids that 1+1 = 3. That gets them a little excited.)

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Again, Thanks!

I too think it is pretty amazing. The kids are pretty excited about it. If you have any suggestions, pass them on.

The kids are thinking about putting a "gloss" around the basic text.

Maybe you would want to join the site. That would get them excited!

Frank

Um, about the gloss, um, I don't know if we can add it in because of how the site is and everything. Like I said earlier, you might be able to add it using CSS coding but I don't know. So for now, it probably won't happen.:cry:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Um, about the gloss, um, I don't know if we can add it in because of how the site is and everything. Like I said earlier, you might be able to add it using CSS coding but I don't know. So for now, it probably won't happen.:cry:

The idea of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is mainly to uniform and homogenize your page styles. It is not a sine qua non. I don't know to how much extent you are tied to webs.com templates. As I said before, the site is fine the way it is, you have made a good job.

Since you are young people, if you do like web programming I recommend you learn PHP as soon as possible and try to write your web pages from scratch - forget external templates for a while, write yours own.
Of course it will take you much more time and the first pages will not be so nice compared to the "professional" ones, but you will soon be rewarded, it is worth, believe me.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Abstract Idea!:-D
I will see what I can do with the info you gave me! I guess you really know your computer stuff. Too bad we couldn't do any Competitive Sentence Diagramming.:cry:

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am pleased to witness this exchange from the outside. I do not have computer skills to speak of. It is encouraging to me to see those who have them conversing about it. And thanks, for your help and interest, Abstract Idea.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I HOPE that was not one of my students. If it was, I apologize.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I have a suggestion.
A challenge to Mr Antonson's students so to speak.
Why don't you try to teach us sentence diagramming from scratch?
(What is it all about?)

Mr Antonson has already pointed out some fine references on the subject - I have
taken notes - but I do not have much free time at the moment.

Maybe I can read something simple here or on the HumanityNotes site.

Let us say a simple sentence like 'Hello World!': how do we diagram it?

lil wiener

Member Type
Student or Learner

I might be able to tell you how to hack something like that(I mean find a way to get around the problem) I'll check the site out more and see if it possible.

lil wiener

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have also got the word around to many of ny friends about the web site you made, they were shocked to hear that young 14 year old students started a web site about there notes in English class.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a suggestion.
A challenge to Mr Antonson's students so to speak.
Why don't you try to teach us sentence diagramming from scratch?
(What is it all about?)

Mr Antonson has already pointed out some fine references on the subject - I have
taken notes - but I do not have much free time at the moment.

Maybe I can read something simple here or on the HumanityNotes site.

Let us say a simple sentence like 'Hello World!': how do we diagram it?

"Hello World!" is simply direct address and would be diagrammed on two separate lines. A sentence MUST include predication where something is told about something. All R-K's will have a plus sign somewhere in them to indicate this predication.

That would be very interesting to hear some of my students try to teach.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks lil wiener!:) Hopefully we can find a way around this! Also, (to Mr. Antonson), do you still have all of those Youtube Videos about Competitive Sentence Diagramming? If so, I can link them to the website so that way people can learn and watch all around the world!:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.