How does my accent sound like ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MATEFII

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am an Egyptian student and was studying in a Canadian sponsored college. I was asked to give a speech at my graduation convocation. I always wondered how my English sounds for a non Egyptian.

Please let me know what do you think of my accent and if there are areas of improvements that i can work on .

I uploaded the video on you tube. you can find here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3LmVCguuU

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am an Egyptian student and was studying in a Canadian sponsored college. I was asked to give a speech at my graduation convocation. I always wondered how my English sounds for a non Egyptian.

Please let me know what do you think of my accent and if there are areas of improvements that i can work on .

I uploaded the video on you tube. you can find here

YouTube - How Does my accent sound like ?

Impressive. Your consonants are very good.
The main thing I noticed was your tendency to say the vowel sound /ei/ as /i:/ (‘ay’, as ‘ee’). In particular, I heard “meed, reet, congraduleet, thee” for “made, rate, congratulate and they’. Your /i:/ sounds are sometimes too short, eg, ‘indid’ for ‘indeed’.
However, I’m an Aussie, so I’m not sure whether this is partly a Canadian influence.

MATEFII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank Raymott for your feedback.

Well our teachers come from a variety of backgrounds so I Kinda picked up a little bit out of every teacher. I have no clue if my accent sounds american, canadian , british or australian or non of these and that is why I wanted to know how my accent sounds like for a non Egyptian.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I hear /ji:/ instead of /ju:/ in "union" too.

englishsharer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Your accent is really good. I have no problems listening to you. I think it resembles Indian or Iraqi accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.