Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default correct form of verb

pls tell me correct form of verbs given in brackets.
    The last wonder of the modern world -----(be) simply that we ------(be) still here. We -------(have) bombs that ------(can) destroy the world but we ----not ------(use) them. This ------(be) surely the greatest wonder of all!

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: correct form of verb

How about your taking a guess at the answers first, Akbar?-- and then we'll check your choices. That would be better practice for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
    i think these forms are correct.could you pls check and give me the correct form of the verbs as soon as possible?
    The last wonder of the modern world (will be) simply that we( will have been )still here. We (will have) bombs that (can )destroy the world but we (do not use) them. This (would be )surely the greatest wonder of all!
    don't disappoint me pls....

Post Thanks / Like

thanks mister micawber
    i think these forms are correct.could you pls check and give me the correct form of the verbs as soon as possible?
    The last wonder of the modern world (will be) simply that we( will have been )still here. We (will have) bombs that (can )destroy the world but we (do not use) them. This (would be )surely the greatest wonder of all!
    don't disappoint me pls....

Post Thanks / Like

The underlined portions are incorrect:

The last wonder of the modern world (will be) simply that we (will have been )still here. We (will have) bombs that (can) destroy the world but we (do not use) them. This (would be) surely the greatest wonder of all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    The underlined portions are incorrect:

The last wonder of the modern world (will be) simply that we (will have been )still here. We (will have) bombs that (can) destroy the world but we (do not use) them. This (would be) surely the greatest wonder of all!
    o.k.i think underlined verbs can be changed as you( will be)still here, that (could) destroy, but we (will not use) them and this (will be )surely the greatest wonder of all.
    this is the third time i subscribe the same question. all replies point the incorrect part but no one says how it can be changed and what the correct form is .i am so sad about it
    pls tell me the correct usage. pls... i can't find an alternative answer pls help.....anybody......pls.....

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, Akbar.

The last wonder of the modern world (will be) simply that we (will be) still here. We (will have) bombs that (could) destroy the world but we (will not use) them. This (would be) surely the greatest wonder of all!

The adverbs 'still' and 'surely' have positional rules: They go after the auxiliary.

'could' works, but you may want to stick with the same auxiliary "will" throughout.

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Need it be complicated with the future tenses, Akbar? I would have thought this is more simple, direct and effective:

'The last wonder of the modern world (is) simply that we (are) still here. We (have) bombs that (could/can) destroy the world but we (haven't used) them. This (is) surely the greatest wonder of all!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Looks good, Akbar.

The last wonder of the modern world (will be) simply that we (will be) still here. We (will have) bombs that (could) destroy the world but we (will not use) them. This (would be) surely the greatest wonder of all!

The adverbs 'still' and 'surely' have positional rules: They go after the auxiliary.

'could' works, but you may want to stick with the same auxiliary "will" throughout.
    Thank you Mr. Casio pea
    Now I got it as the last wonder of the modern world will be simply that we will still be here we will have bombs that could destroy the world but we will not use them. This would surely be the greatest wonder of all!
    Now everything is o.k. I am always confused with the tense usage. I want your help more again. Anyway thank u very much once again.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: correct form of verb

Hi
    I have another doubt for the same question.
    Simple present tense can be used in this paragraph instead of future tense? Which one is better? I am often confused with the selection of tenses. Pls give me your opinion. Thank you for your patience. Donít block my account please Ö.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast