That I becomes Thar I . what name is this process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Hungary
Hi all,

If I have phonetic sounds like (that I, go to, but how, about it) and these sounds have the sound r as ( thar i, gor to, bur how, abour it) . what do we usulally call this process?

brief explanation would help me understand this process.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This sound is the alveolar flap. It's what many languages (like mine) denote by the letter R, but English does not. Its symbol in the IPA is ɾ. Here is an article from Wikipedia about the sound. And here is an article from Wikpedia about the process.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all,

If I have phonetic sounds like (that I, go to, but how, about it) and these sounds have the sound r as ( thar i, gor to, bur how, abour it) . what do we usulally call this process?

brief explanation would help me understand this process.

BC may be right, but it seems possible you may be mis-hearing a glottal stop. In some dialects, alveolar flaps and glottal stops have an interesting correlation. If you can find a recording, listen to Tommy Steele's 'Lil whi'[te] bull'. The title has two glottal stops in it (and a vocalized dark 'l' for that matter - likewise characteristic of Cockney).

But in the last verse, the lyrics are:

'The ma'adors cried
Toro! li'l bull -
You're norra li'l bull...'

In 'not a' one might expect a glottal stop [ɂ]. But the internal rhyme with 'Toro' suggests that there is an alveolar flap.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
BobK may well be right about mishearing a glottal stop but people from Liverpool certainly produce something like a /r/ when/t/ comes between two vowels. The Liverpool realisation of /r/, however, tends to be [ɹ].

I'm afraid I can't help you with the original question about the name of this process

Status
Not open for further replies.