Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear all,

Would you kindly tell me what the difference between "initialed and signed"? In my impression, the two words are the same in meaning. I may be wrong.

Thank you.

kenkk2

Member Type
Other
Dear all,

Would you kindly tell me what the difference between "initialed and signed"? In my impression, the two words are the same in meaning. I may be wrong.

Thank you.

Not a teacher.
IMO, they have the same act but different way.
You might know what "sign" means, then "initial"(the first letter of each word of a person's full name considered as a unit) requires the same act :To sign one's initial(s), as an abbreviated signature.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
They are a little different.

"Initialed" can mean to just sign your "initials", the first (initial) letters of your name, usually just first and last names. This might be done on each page of a business contract, or where a printed contract has editted by hand.

"Signed" means to sign your full signature, which is almost always more than just the initial letters. This is usually done on cheques or at the end of a business contract.

For example, for someone called Bob Edward Jones might sign and initial this way (although there are many ways to sign):

Initial: BJ
Sign: B E Jones or Bob Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.