CELTA interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephy17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me out.

I have been selected to take part in an interview for the above mentioned course and I'm looking for some advice. The letter I received did not indicate any specific tasks although it states the following;

The following areas will be considered as part if the assessment:

-language awareness and linguistic ability appropriate for the start of the course.
- the ability to communicate ideas clearly and assess your own strengths and weaknesses
-a high level of language in writing and speaking commensurate with the assessment criteria
-Ability to process information quickly and pit this information into action
-fulfilment of the entry requirements laid down by the examining board.

The letter also states: the interview afternoon consists of a group Q&A, a one-to-one interview and a variety of tasks designed to assess your potential to achieve the qualification within the period that the course runs.
Any ideas of what to expect?

Thanks
Steph

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What's your knowledge of grammar like? I would start reading up on that- they may ask you to identify errors, for example, so some knowledge of the terms could help.

Stephy17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you for your reply.

I have some knowledge however being a Geordie doesn't help!

I have a few books and have done a fair bit of research, I'm just rather nervous.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The interview is about whether you are right to start a course, so they would be looking fr some interest and basic knowledge; after all, if you had no knowledge where would the interest come from, but that doesn't mean you need to be an expert. If you have some genuine interest, have read around, looked into it, thought about going into a classroom seriously, can show some real interest in the language and learning, then you should walk it. If you have all the answer now, what would they teach you on the course? ;-)

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your reply.

I have some knowledge however being a Geordie doesn't help!

I have a few books and have done a fair bit of research, I'm just rather nervous.

Just one comment based on the "the ability .... assess your own strengths and weaknesses"

I think the fact that you realise "being a Geordie doesn't help" is good. I am Australian, so I often have to think carefully about my choice of words or pronunciation when I am teaching British or American English. Don't be afraid to say you are not sure about what is correct in "standard English".

And don't worry, a poll once showed that English people consider the Geordie accent to be the most attractive British accent!

Stephy17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you both for your response both very helpful, at least putting my mind at ease.

I taught English in Thailand and Vietnam for four weeks each whilst I was at university and found it was an amazing experience so your right the interest is there.

May I ask how do you find teaching English and American English? I worked in Texas for a few months and they found it difficult to understand me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Texas? I come from Southern England, hinny, and I find Geordies hard to understand!

Seriously, there are problems when learners encounter teachers with less internationally known dialects, and even when native speakers meet speakers of dialects with which they are unfamiliar.

The main problem is often that some speakers are unaware that their dialect is difficult for others. You are aware of the potential problem, which is a great help. Don't be ashamed of your dialect, but accept that you may have to modify it slightly except when speaking to other Geordies. 'Ah'm gannin yem' is fine in Newcastle, not in the classroom in Beijing, or even the staffroom in Houston.

You may have problems with students who insist on learning 'Standard' (or BBC) British or 'Standard' or 'General American'. They need to learn that if they hear only 'standard' language in the classroom they will be lost on the streets of Glasgow. New Jersey, Calcutta, etc. It is good for learners to be exposed to a variety of English accents (though not to rare dialect words), and you will usually have CDs to give them a model of standard language for their own pronunciation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.