I have some problems with following sentences.
Thanks in advance!
1. What does 'his thought runs on before him, and settles down upon us like star in the east' mean? (At this moment, whathever hinders him, we are not so anxious to see him as he is to be here, and his thought runs on before him, and settles down upon us like star in the east.)
2. What does 'all the more' mean? (I ought the written; but perhaps I have thought of you all the more.)
3. What does 'led in' mean? (His other hand held the rein of the horse, which was standing saddled as if just led in.)
4. What does 'seemd scarcely so much affected by it as to feel any one's presence in adition to Mr. Darton's' mean? (Philip Hall's wife, in spite of this interruption to her first rencounter, seemd scarcely so much affected by it as to fell any one's presence in adition to Mr. Darton's.)
5. What does 'notches of chimney-crook which hung above' mean? (He spread his knees to the brands, lit up his tobbaco as he had said, and sat gazing into the fire and notches of chimney-crook which hung above.)
1- I'm not sure, but is the star in the East the one the wise men followed that eventually stood over Jesus' birthplace????
2- even more
3- not sure without more context
4- barely noticed the other person- is she captivated by Mr Darton?
5- Apparently, they're these: http://images.google.com/images?q=ch...=Search+Images