Q1. Are these sentences correct?
1. Do you have the keys to the door?
2. Do you have the key to the door?
3. Do you have a key to the door?
Q2. Do the sentences above mean the same thing as the sentences below?
4. Do you have a key to unlock the door?
5. Do you have a key to unlock the door with?
Q3. Of all these sentences, which is/are the natural everyday expression(s)?
Thanks in advance.
All five are equally natural. #1 suggests that the door has multiple locks or that a number of keys are held by the same person. #2 suggests that there is only one known key. #s 3, 4 & 5 suggest that there are several keys in scattered locations.
Thank you very much, Mister Micawber!
You are here too! (So am I!)
Have a nice day!
Yes, I am ubiquitous. Nice to see you here, too, Kant.
Tests & Quizzes