Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: agreement of tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Idea View Post
    ----- Not an English teacher -----



    OK 2006, thanks again. I am really sleepy, I meant explicitly. We should have a second to review what we write here. But since this is just for fun, let it be.

    Discussing now semantics: I think you said it implicitly, no? How would you say it implicitly? I didn't say anything about why it was wrong, so you can't use 'implicitly' either.

    Still waiting for the execution. What are you talking about??
    2006

  2. #12
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: agreement of tenses

    ----- Not an English teacher -----

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post

    Originally Posted by Abstract Idea

    OK 2006, thanks again. I am really sleepy, I meant explicitly. We should have a second to review what we write here. But since this is just for fun, let it be.

    Discussing now semantics: I think you said it implicitly, no? How would you say it implicitly? I didn't say anything about why it was wrong, so you can't use 'implicitly' either.
    2006
    I was not asking if I could use implicitly. I was just stating that since you didn't say anything about it you didn't say it either implicitly or explicitly. So I still don't understand why my sentence "Although you didn't say it explicitly" is semantically wrong.

  3. #13
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: agreement of tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Idea View Post
    ----- Not an English teacher -----



    I was not asking if I could use implicitly. I was just stating that since you didn't say anything about it you didn't say it either implicitly or explicitly.

    So I still don't understand why my sentence "Although you didn't say it explicitly" is semantically wrong.
    Because saying "didn't say it explicitly" suggests that I said it another way, but I didn't say anything about why it was wrong. So the only correct way is to say 'Although you didn't say (it), I guess the reason................'

  4. #14
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: agreement of tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Because saying "didn't say it explicitly" suggests that I said it another way, but I didn't say anything about why it was wrong. So the only correct way is to say 'Although you didn't say (it), I guess the reason................'
    If I had said:
    Although you didn't say it out loud, I guess ...
    Although you didn't say it joyfully, I guess ...
    Although you didn't say it readily, I guess ...
    would it still be wrong?

  5. #15
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: agreement of tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Idea View Post
    If I had said:
    Although you didn't say it out loud, I guess ...
    Although you didn't say it joyfully, I guess ...
    Although you didn't say it readily, I guess ...
    would it still be wrong?
    Yes, they are all inappropriate and therefore wrong.

  6. #16
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: agreement of tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Yes, they are all inappropriate and therefore wrong.
    Which adverb could be appropriate and right in this case?

  7. #17
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: agreement of tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Idea View Post
    Which adverb could be appropriate and right in this case?
    No adverb is needed, so none would be appropriate. I don't know why you are so insistent about putting an adverb there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] S-V agreement
    By 2010 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2010, 20:10
  2. [Grammar] Agreement
    By Eriko in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2009, 09:28
  3. About agreement
    By Grinkl in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2008, 20:27
  4. agreement
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-May-2007, 11:19
  5. agreement
    By fungyf_hk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2004, 07:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •