Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: aussie

  1. #1
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default aussie

    "A new aussie drama" stand for a new Australian drama?

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aussie

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "A new aussie drama" stand for a new Australian drama?
    Yes.

  3. #3
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aussie

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes.
    Would it sound offencive?

  4. #4
    Munch's Avatar
    Munch is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aussie

    No, "aussie" would never be offensive. At least, I can't think of any time it would be offensive. It is informal though, so it would sound strange in some formal situations.

    I am happy to be called an "aussie" and hear things described as "aussie".

  5. #5
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aussie

    Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    No, "aussie" would never be offensive. At least, I can't think of any time it would be offensive. It is informal though, so it would sound strange in some formal situations.

    I am happy to be called an "aussie" and hear things described as "aussie".
    I was watching an aussie TV series "Cop L.A.C.". Do you guys often say "go down the pub" in Australia?

  6. #6
    Munch's Avatar
    Munch is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aussie

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I was watching an aussie TV series "Cop L.A.C.". Do you guys often say "go down the pub" in Australia?
    I think many people would use that phrase but many would not, even those who go to pubs. Personally, I might say it myself but I might say something different instead. Some people don't go to pubs at all and some people might say it in a different way. So in short, it is not unknown but not the only way to say it, or the most common way even.

  7. #7
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aussie

    Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    I think many people would use that phrase but many would not, even those who go to pubs. Personally, I might say it myself but I might say something different instead. Some people don't go to pubs at all and some people might say it in a different way. So in short, it is not unknown but not the only way to say it, or the most common way even.
    I was asking about grammar. Shouldn't there be "to" after "down"?

  8. #8
    Munch's Avatar
    Munch is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aussie

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I was asking about grammar. Shouldn't there be "to" after "down"?
    Ah, I was going to say something about that. This is what I was thinking:

    If I said, "I am going down the pub" I might think I am saying "I am going down to the pub" but the "to the" part would be so short it would almost not be there - maybe in very relaxed speech, there would be no trace of it.

    Dialects of English are more different when they are spoken than when they are written. You might hear an Australian say something that he/she would never write the same way.

  9. #9
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aussie

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Would it sound offensive?
    Not at all.
    But, remember it's pronounced "Ozzie", with a /z/ not "Ossie" with a /s/, nor "Oussie". Americans often get this wrong, and it sounds funny, but not offensive.

Similar Threads

  1. [Idiom] why can't i view all aussie idioms??
    By itami sensei in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2010, 13:51
  2. [General] What's the difference between Aussie and Australian?
    By hellofox in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Sep-2008, 16:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •