Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"A new aussie drama" stand for a new Australian drama?

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
No, "aussie" would never be offensive. At least, I can't think of any time it would be offensive. It is informal though, so it would sound strange in some formal situations.

I am happy to be called an "aussie" and hear things described as "aussie".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No, "aussie" would never be offensive. At least, I can't think of any time it would be offensive. It is informal though, so it would sound strange in some formal situations.

I am happy to be called an "aussie" and hear things described as "aussie".

I was watching an aussie TV series "Cop L.A.C.". Do you guys often say "go down the pub" in Australia?

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
I was watching an aussie TV series "Cop L.A.C.". Do you guys often say "go down the pub" in Australia?

I think many people would use that phrase but many would not, even those who go to pubs. Personally, I might say it myself but I might say something different instead. Some people don't go to pubs at all and some people might say it in a different way. So in short, it is not unknown but not the only way to say it, or the most common way even.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think many people would use that phrase but many would not, even those who go to pubs. Personally, I might say it myself but I might say something different instead. Some people don't go to pubs at all and some people might say it in a different way. So in short, it is not unknown but not the only way to say it, or the most common way even.
I was asking about grammar. Shouldn't there be "to" after "down"?

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
I was asking about grammar. Shouldn't there be "to" after "down"?

Ah, I was going to say something about that. This is what I was thinking:

If I said, "I am going down the pub" I might think I am saying "I am going down to the pub" but the "to the" part would be so short it would almost not be there - maybe in very relaxed speech, there would be no trace of it.

Dialects of English are more different when they are spoken than when they are written. You might hear an Australian say something that he/she would never write the same way.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Would it sound offensive?
Not at all.
But, remember it's pronounced "Ozzie", with a /z/ not "Ossie" with a /s/, nor "Oussie". Americans often get this wrong, and it sounds funny, but not offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.