What does possession of wealth mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve19800

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Guys,

Just as titled said, What does possession of wealth mean? Does it mean the act of acquiring wealth or the state of having wealth?
I look at the dictionary, but not really sure what does this mean, perhaps it relates to the grammar. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks a lot :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As you will have seen from a dictionary, possession means ownership.

Rover

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

steve19800

Member Type
Student or Learner
:?:

Pass.

Rover

This is actually a translation of someone's name. If it's translated into english, the meaning is possession of wealth. But I'm not quite sure since it is used as a name. Whether the meaning is the ownership of wealth or the act or fact of possessing wealth or the state being possessed by wealth?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, my Concise Oxford Dictionary defines the word as the act or state of possessing or being possessed, which was a surprise to me; I always considered it to be just a state. I followed it up in the full Oxford English Dictionary, where the definition reads: action or fact of possessing or being possessed, but I couldn’t find any citations that appeared to justify the action part of the definition. So, I gritted my British teeth and tried Webster's Third: the act or condition of having in, or taking into one’s control or holding at one’s disposal. Webster did at least give one example which could be taken as an act: the enemy’s possession of the town, though I would have preferred more context.

So, it seems fairly clear that the word can refer to an act.

However, I am puzzled by the fact that it is the translation of a name. A person's name? Does the name in the original language imply act or condition? Is there perhaps a better translation of the name?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Is there perhaps a better translation of the name?"
I was wondering that. As a name, "possessor of wealth" would seem more likely.

steve19800

Member Type
Student or Learner
@fivejedjon & bhaisahab

The original language is in Tibetan called "Norden". And "Karma" means action, the name is Karma Norden. So the name is translated into english as possession of wealth by the Tibetan people. From what I understand, karma means action, not possession. Perhaps as bhaisahab stated could be a possessor of wealth since possessor involved action.

But I am wondering it could also be the quality of that person, the quality of wealth? Fivejedjon, I also can't find any citations in my old version Oxford, I thought it could be in the latest version :) I too wish there is a better translation of name but I don't understand Tibetan and couldn't figure it out how. Sorry..

Guys, if one of your friend has this name. What would be the first thought that comes into your mind? Thanks :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
@fivejedjon & bhaisahab

The original language is in Tibetan called "Norden". And "Karma" means action, the name is Karma Norden. So the name is translated into english as possession of wealth by the Tibetan people. From what I understand, karma means action, not possession. Perhaps as bhaisahab stated could be a possessor of wealth since possessor involved action.

But I am wondering it could also be the quality of that person, the quality of wealth? Fivejedjon, I also can't find any citations in my old version Oxford, I thought it could be in the latest version :) I too wish there is a better translation of name but I don't understand Tibetan and couldn't figure it out how. Sorry..

Guys, if one of your friend has this name. What would be the first thought that comes into your mind? Thanks :)
"Karma" is a Sanskrit word, it's difficult to translate into English. It does mean action, but a particular type of action, that which sets the cycle of cause and effect in motion. It's origins are in northern India.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Are you sure it's Tibetan? The name "Norden" seems more Nepalese to me. The idea of karma is associated with Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism in India and Nepal. I haven't heard of its being used in Tibet, although I have never been there so I could be wrong.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Whether the meaning is the ownership of wealth or the act or fact of possessing wealth

Just a question here on the possession/ownership- can you actually own money? The fact that you're not allowed to burn money suggests that it is not your property- when the KLF burned a million pounds a few years ago, they could have been charged with a criminal offence. Money's a bearer bond- the promise is to pay the holder. Could it be that the term is used because we cannot own it in the same way we can own a house or car?

Status
Not open for further replies.