Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    to have learned vs had learned

    "She knew her son to have learned German."

    OR

    "She knew her son had learned German."

    OR

    "She knew that her son had learned German."
    Last edited by ostap77; 14-Oct-2010 at 13:46.

  1. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 5,981
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: to have learned vs had learned

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "She knew her son to have learned German."

    OR

    "She knew her sone had learned German."

    OR

    "She knew that her son had learned German."
    Only the 2nd and 3rd are correct. Watch out for typos.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: to have learned vs had learned

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    Only the 2nd and 3rd are correct. Watch out for typos.
    What would be the problem with the first one?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: to have learned vs had learned

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What would be the problem with the first one?
    So the 1st one is incorrect?

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: to have learned vs had learned

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    So the 1st one is incorrect?
    I have a feeling about this, but I need to check my grammars, so don't take it as certain.

    My feeling is that we can use the present or perfect infinitive of BE ofter know + person, but not after other verbs. Thus the first two senetnces below are acceptable, the second too not.

    1. I know him to be honest and sincere.
    2. I know him to have been brave.
    3. I know him to learn German.
    4. I know him to have learnt German.

    As I am re-reading those sentences, I am finding the second strange. I am now more inclining towards:

    2a. I have known him to be brave.

    I am going off to hunt through my grammars. I shall return to this thread to see what others think.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: to have learned vs had learned

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I have a feeling about this, but I need to check my grammars, so don't take it as certain.

    My feeling is that we can use the present or perfect infinitive of BE ofter know + person, but not after other verbs. Thus the first two senetnces below are acceptable, the second too not.

    1. I know him to be honest and sincere.
    2. I know him to have been brave.
    3. I know him to learn German.
    4. I know him to have learnt German.

    As I am re-reading those sentences, I am finding the second strange. I am now more inclining towards:

    2a. I have known him to be brave.

    I am going off to hunt through my grammars. I shall return to this thread to see what others think.
    I'd appreciate it.

Similar Threads

  1. She learned
    By olegv in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-May-2010, 17:20
  2. Learned
    By karitaru in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Apr-2010, 04:07
  3. learned
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2010, 20:13
  4. A lesson to be learned.
    By cat's_eyes in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Oct-2009, 22:33
  5. Learned lady
    By Rok in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jun-2009, 18:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •