[Grammar] Proper use of coming and going

Status
Not open for further replies.

yolandag4

Member Type
Student or Learner
I would like to know the proper way of using coming and going. I am frequently corrected when I use these two. I will provide an example. My friend lives about one hour south of me. I will oftentimes say " I'm going down to visit you" or " are you coming to my house". If I'm with her I will say "are you going to my house any time soon". Please tell me the proper way of using coming and going.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Generally come is used when the direction is towards where the speaker is, was or will be at a relevant point in time, go when the direction is away from the speaker. Examples:

a. Come here. (Towards me)
b. Go towards the window. (Not towards me)
c. Please come to my house this evening. (I will be at home)
d. Please go to my house this evening. (I will not be there, but I want you to check that I locked the door.)
e. I am going to Fred’s party this evening. (Clearly away from the speaker)
f. Will you come with me? (Come with + a person = accompany. If you come with me, by the time you get to Fred’s party I will logically be there!)
g. Are you coming to school tomorrow? (I am speaking to you on the telephone from school, or: we are both at school.).)
h. Are you coming to school tomorrow? (Are you accompanying me?)
i. Are you going to school tomorrow? (I am speaking from a place other than school.)

One important point here is that sometimes there is no ‘correct’ answer. The choice between come and go depends on how the speaker views the situation at the moment of speaking. In [f,] for example, the speaker could easily have chosen go.

Incidentally, bring (towards the speaker and take (away from the speaker) are used in a similar way.

yolandag4

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you very much. This helps understand the differences more clearly:)

apbl

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Italy
Generally come is used when the direction is towards where the speaker is, was or will be at a relevant point in time, go when the direction is away from the speaker. Examples:

a. Come here. (Towards me)
b. Go towards the window. (Not towards me)
c. Please come to my house this evening. (I will be at home)
d. Please go to my house this evening. (I will not be there, but I want you to check that I locked the door.)
e. I am going to Fred’s party this evening. (Clearly away from the speaker)
f. Will you come with me? (Come with + a person = accompany. If you come with me, by the time you get to Fred’s party I will logically be there!)
g. Are you coming to school tomorrow? (I am speaking to you on the telephone from school, or: we are both at school.).)
h. Are you coming to school tomorrow? (Are you accompanying me?)
i. Are you going to school tomorrow? (I am speaking from a place other than school.)

One important point here is that sometimes there is no ‘correct’ answer. The choice between come and go depends on how the speaker views the situation at the moment of speaking. In [f,] for example, the speaker could easily have chosen go.

Incidentally, bring (towards the speaker and take (away from the speaker) are used in a similar way.

Neat explanation! :-D

We can add (if it is useful) that "to take" and "to bring" follow the same basic principle.

you take something when you go somewhere
you bring something when you come somewhere

a. Come here and bring your exercise book with you. (Towards me)
b. Go towards the window and take this poor plant with you. (Not towards me)
c. Please come to my house this evening and bring a bottle of wine. (I will be at home)
d. Please go to my house this evening and take your brother with you. (I will not be there, but I want you to check that I locked the door.)
e. I am going to Fred’s party this evening and I'm taking my sister. (Clearly away from the speaker)
f. Will you come with me and bring your girlfriend too? (Come with + a person = accompany. If you come with me, by the time you get to Fred’s party I will logically be there!)
g. Are you coming to school tomorrow? If you are, then bring your tracksuit. (I am speaking to you on the telephone from school, or: we are both at school.).)
i. Are you going to school tomorrow? If you are, then don't forget to take your tracksuit. (I am speaking from a place other than school.)

Hope that helps too!

Status
Not open for further replies.