Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Hello,

I've been taught that we says cats /kats/ with an s because /t/ is a voiceless sound and so is /s/.
And that we says dogs /d?gz/ because /g/ is a voiced sound, and so is /z/

Now, why do we then says:
dishes /diʃiz/
arches /artʃiz/
teaches /teetʃiz/

Why is that /iz/? We can very well say /artʃs/ or /artʃis/, /diʃs/ or /diʃis/ I've just tried saying it , and it went like a breeze!

aren't "ʃ" and "tʃ" voiceless sounds? While /dʒ/ is the voiced counterpart of "tʃ"?
Or am I messing things up? :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You were told only part of what happens.

The full system is:
The final –(e)s of this form is pronounced:
/s/ after unvoiced consonants except /s, ʃ, ʧ/: /k[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]ks, pʊts, kɒfs/
/z/ after vowels, diphthongs and voiced consonants except /z, ʒ, ʤ/ : /hʌgz, siːz, le[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]z/
/[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]z/(or/əz/) after /s, z, ʃ, ʒ, ʧ/ and /ʤ/: /bɒks[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]z, bʌz[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]z, wɒʃ[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]z ruːʒ[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]z, kæʧ[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]z, ʤʌʤ[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]z/

You wrote: "We can very well say /artʃs/ or /artʃis/, /diʃs/ or /diʃis/ I've just tried saying it , and it went like a breeze"
I'm inclined to think that, without fully realising it, you inserted a short schwa or /[FONT=&quot]I/ [/FONT]into your[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]/artʃs/ and /diʃs/

Last edited:

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
I see. Many thanks for putting the whole rule. :up:
That was really really useful.

But I do wonder, why were these 6 sounds treated differently and required and extra "i" before the /z/?
I can feel they all have a certain "noise" compared to other sounds, but is there a name for than in phonology?

And allow me ask another question:
what about the (e)d" as in "reached"
Do we say /reeʧd/ or /reeʧid/?

Is there a rule for the (e)d, like the one you mentioned for the (e)s?

Thanks a lot again. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Those 6 high-pitched turbulent sounds are sometimes referred to as sibilants.

The other system is:

The final –(e)d of this form is pronounced:
/t/ after unvoiced consonants except /t/: /kIkt, stɒpt, kɒft/
/d/ after vowels and diphthongs and voiced consonants except /d/: /hʌgd, lIvd, friːd, pleId/
/Id/ (or /əd/) after /t, d/: /wɒntId, wɒntǝd; niːd Id, niːdǝd/

so, it's /reeʧd/ (or rather: /riːʧd/)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Do some dialects have [-ɨz] instead of [-ɪz] there? Which dialects?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Alan Cruttenden (2001) makes no mention of [ɪ] ever being rendered as [ɨ] (Gimson’s Pronunciation of English, London: Arnold). However, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I can’t think of any examples. Did you have any in mind?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Alan Cruttenden (2001) makes no mention of [ɪ] ever being rendered as [ɨ] (Gimson’s Pronunciation of English, London: Arnold). However, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I can’t think of any examples. Did you have any in mind?
Yes. I asked about it once already, and got some help, but I still don't know the answer. It's about some articles on Wikipedia that mention ɨ as being present in word "roses", [ˈɹoʊzɨz] in some dialects. Unfortunately, they don't say which dialects have it.

Last edited:

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Many thanks :)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Yes. I asked about it once already, and got some help, but I still don't know the answer. It's about some articles on Wikipedia that mention ɨ as being present in word "roses", [ˈɹoʊzɨz] in some dialects. Unfortunately, they don't say which dialects have it.
Click here. It doesn't say which dialect(s), but it sheds light on the reason barred-i is used in transcriptions.

My pronunciation of e in roses is different from a in Rosa's. Roses has barred-i; Rosa's has schwa.

It would be beneficial if Australian, British, Canadian, and Indian speakers could offer their pronunciations of roses and Rosa's so that we can determine which major dialects have barred-i.

I read somewhere (I'll have to find the articles) that e in roses and a in Rosa's merged to schwa in Australian English, but did not merge in American English. Let's see, shall we?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Yes - Tony Blair, passim.

b

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.