Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!
Could anyone explain the difference between working long hours and working overtime to me please ? Are the terms interchangeable or is there a substantial difference?

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the concept of long hours is dictated by the nature of work requiring people to work longer than 8 hours a day (doctors, nurses, people working in shifts) and that's either stated in their working contract or is a worker's own desire to spend more time at their workplace.
As for overtime, does it refer to work hours that exceed contractual hours (a fulltimer can't meet a deadline, has an increasing workload etc)??
I'm really confused.

Thank you in advance!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello!
Could anyone explain the difference between working long hours and working overtime to me please ? Are the terms interchangeable or is there a substantial difference?

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the concept of long hours is dictated by the nature of work requiring people to work longer than 8 hours a day (doctors, nurses, people working in shifts) and that's either stated in their working contract or is a worker's own desire to spend more time at their workplace.
As for overtime, does it refer to work hours that exceed contractual hours (a fulltimer can't meet a deadline, has an increasing workload etc)??
I'm really confused.

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the forums.
"Working overtime" means working more than your contracted hours, usually at a premium rate. If for example you are contracted to work eight hours a day, from nine to five, and you are asked to work until six or seven one day, that is overtime. "Working long hours" is subjective, some people would find forty hours a week long, others fifty etc.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you, bhaisahab!
Thanks, Gillnetter!

Status