Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Pronunciation Rules

    Hello! Someone could say me where I can find a list of pronunciation rules on the web? I know that there aren't exhaustive ones, but I've read somewhere that exist about 100 rules and other 100 exceptions for English language and I would try to learn them. Do you think I am mad?

  2. #2
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pronunciation Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Hello! Someone could say me where I can find a list of pronunciation rules on the web? I know that there aren't exhaustive ones, but I've read somewhere that exist about 100 rules and other 100 exceptions for English language and I would try to learn them. Do you think I am mad?

    It depends on what you mean by "pronunciation rules".

    I have a document that contains the "rules" I think you're looking for. I think you're asking about spelling and pronunciation. Is that it?

    I found it online. I'll see if it's still there.

    Is this what you're looking for?

    http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/Alphabe...20Sequence.pdf
    Last edited by Steven D; 05-Jul-2005 at 13:06.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Pronunciation Rules

    Yes, It's the very web page I was looking for !! I found it months ago and when after some time I needed to read it I wasn't able to find it again. Thanks a lot!!

  4. #4
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pronunciation Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Yes, It's the very web page I was looking for !! I found it months ago and when after some time I needed to read it I wasn't able to find it again. Thanks a lot!!

    You're welcome.

    If you remember anything that is on a document you can't find, you can type the words in quotations and do a search. That's how I found it again. I only had the PDF document, not the page I got it from.


    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22prepared+by+charles+m.+richardson%22
    Last edited by Steven D; 05-Jul-2005 at 17:56.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pronunciation Rules

    I've found another document containing a larger set of pronunciation rules. Of course, it has exceptions too.

    I attach the link for who is interested in this subject:
    http://www.uni-greifswald.de/~anglam.../PronRules.pdf

    If someone else run across similar documents (in every format) please write them down on this thread.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Red face ...oooops... : Pronunciation Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I've found another document containing a larger set of pronunciation rules. Of course, it has exceptions too.

    I attach the link for who is interested in this subject:
    http://www.uni-greifswald.de/~anglam.../PronRules.pdf

    If someone else run across similar documents (in every format) please write them down on this thread.
    Errata:

    ...If someone else runs across...

  7. #7
    Noego is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ...oooops... : Pronunciation Rules

    I'm sorry for reviving a very old thread, but the link provided here:

    http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/Alphabe...20Sequence.pdf

    Doesn't seem to work anymore. I've searched the Internet for this .pdf but I can't find it anywhere.

    Could anyone somehow provide this pdf file? I would be really intersted in reading its content.

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ...oooops... : Pronunciation Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Noego View Post
    I'm sorry for reviving a very old thread, but the link provided here:

    http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/Alphabe...20Sequence.pdf

    Doesn't seem to work anymore. I've searched the Internet for this .pdf but I can't find it anywhere.

    ...
    Strange - it works for me. It's quite a big download - nearly 3 Mb - so maybe your browser's got a time-out set too low (or maybe you're using a computer that doesn't allow downloads that big). Send me a PM.

    Fabio: I wouldn't say your ambition was mad; a bit unrealistic, maybe.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. slight difference in meaing?
    By peteryoung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19-May-2005, 09:43
  2. How should we look on pronunciation?
    By phoenixtree in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2004, 02:48
  3. pronunciation
    By james_chew_84 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2004, 08:15
  4. pronunciation
    By james_chew_84 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2004, 09:42
  5. Problem with my ''rules and regulation''
    By ITIK in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2004, 21:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •