Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Peace be upon you

why do we double(t) in hit to be ( hitting) but we don't double it in visit(visiting)?

I hope my question is clear

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Peace be upon you

why do we double(t) in hit to be ( hitting) but we don't double it in visit(visiting)?

I hope my question is clear

Good question.
Found this at grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/spelling.
"Double the final consonant before adding an ending that begins with a vowel (i.e. "ed" or "ing")when the last syllable of the word is accented and that syllable ends in a single vowel followed by a single consonant." The first syllable of "visit" is accented and therefore according to the rule the "t" is not doubled.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
billmcd has give a good rule that covers most cases. A fuller overview of the whole sysyem of adding -ing follows, with the sections relevant to doubling printed in green:

-ing is added to the first form: playing, working, understanding,
Most verbs ending in single mute -e drop the final –e before –ing, though if word-final –e is preceded by –y, -o or –ng, or if the verb ends in –ee, the –e is retained:hiring, becoming, reclining but: dyeing, toeing, whingeing, freeing
Polysyllabic verbs ending in –ge generally drop the –e; impinging, infringing
Retention of the –e in AGE is optional: aging or ageing
Verbs ending in –ie change this to –y before –ing: tying, dying
Verbs ending in a single consonant letter (except –w, x , -c and -l ) following a single vowel letter in a stressed syllable double that final consonant before adding the –ing: robbing, knitting, referring but revealing, rowing, boxing.
Verbs ending in –c add -k rather than doubling the –c. This occurs even when the final syllable is unstressed.: picnicking, panicking.
In BrE, word-final –l is always doubled after a short vowel sound, even in unstressed syllables: repelling, levelling, travelling, cancelling
In verbs with a final unstressed syllable ending in –s,some writers double the final –s of the first form before adding the –e; this is optional: biasing or biassing, focusing or focussing
There is no doubling when the final syllable is unstressed (except for verbs ending in -c and -l): happening, bothering, visiting
However, a small number of verbs double the final consonant in BrE even if the final syllable is unstressed. This may be because the final syllable exists as a single-syllable (hence stressed) verb, even if the polysyllabic verb is not actually a compound: programming, handicapping, hiccupping, kidnapping, worshipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.