Post Thanks / Like

Default Nonsense words and stuff like that - what words are potentially English?

Hi!
    Let s imagine you have a list of nonsense words, to be exact - their phonetic transciprtions.
    How do you figure out what words could NOT be English?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nonsense words and stuff like that - what words are potentially English?

If they had sounds that are not English, or sounds that didn't occur in certain positions in English. However, this would not help you with words that weren't English, buit could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nonsense words and stuff like that - what words are potentially English?

Well that s a great help!
    What about some certain rules?
    For example, like "R" never occures at the end of a word out of the context? Or stuff like that?

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem here is that English has always borrowed heavily from other languages, adopting foreign words and their pronunciations. Therefore words like kvetch, ennui, and karma have become part of the English lexicon.

Post Thanks / Like

Well....No rules at all?
    I m going to have a stupid exam and I need something to orientate myself on...

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Setting loan words aside, there are many rules- no triple letters, how many words do you know beginning with combinations like 'zkw', you can have 'rn' in the middle of a word or at the end, but how many words begin with it? Your example with 'r' doesn't work as many words end with it. 'Q' is always followed by 'u', so any other combination wouldn't work. However, as Mykwyner said, loan words can break just about any pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thanks guys...I guess our professor said something bout some stupid rules but I was just too busy reading Blackberry Wine
    All right, thanks for your help anyway