Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dear

  1. #1
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dear

    Hi,

    It seems to be common in Algerian English to call strangers "Dear". I've noticed it also from Libyans and Egyptians.
    I'd be interested in knowing what people think of this, and how they react to it.

    My guess is that most native English speakers would find it annoying in writing, and plain embarassing if it happened in real life.

    (I don't mean in a salutation, "Dear Sir", or as an adjective, "my dear friend" which are normal when used appropriately in English. I mean when it's used as "dear can you answer my question?" or "thank you for your answer dear" )

    Thanks for your opinions dears

  2. #2
    riquecohen's Avatar
    riquecohen is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Dear

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Hi,

    It seems to be common in Algerian English to call strangers "Dear". I've noticed it also from Libyans and Egyptians.
    I'd be interested in knowing what people think of this, and how they react to it.

    My guess is that most native English speakers would find it annoying in writing, and plain embarassing if it happened in real life.

    (I don't mean in a salutation, "Dear Sir", or as an adjective, "my dear friend" which are normal when used appropriately in English. I mean when it's used as "dear can you answer my question?" or "thank you for your answer dear" )

    Thanks for your opinions dears
    I think that it depends on the source. If it came from another native speaker, I would find it very condescending. Here on the forum, however, I find it rather sweet. On the other hand, if learners are trying to use "proper" English, they should endeavor to use more standard forms. I wonder if dear might be a direct translation from an Arabic word that is commonly used in such situations. In Brazil itīs not at all unusual to be called querido (dear) by a stranger, though many people consider it quite rude.
    Last edited by riquecohen; 07-Oct-2010 at 14:28. Reason: substitute such for various

  3. #3
    chourouk's Avatar
    chourouk is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Dear

    I'm from Algeria ... and your notice is really correct !
    we often use the word (dear) in our speech ..
    I want to say in most Arabic countries we use this word significantly in our conversation and public language!

    Perhaps it is a translation of the word "عزيزي" which we use always in our daily lives ....
    For example : When I speak with someone ,I tell him:"Thank you for your help dear", "I need your advice, dear" ect ... and rarely mention his/her name !

    You can say 'Dear' means sir, or any other person you don't have a close relationship with him ..

    It's just a style of speech !

  4. #4
    birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Dear

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I think that it depends on the source. If it came from another native speaker, I would find it very condescending. Here on the forum, however, I find it rather sweet.
    Me 2.

  5. #5
    youandcorey's Avatar
    youandcorey is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Dear

    That's just so cool, Chourouk. Thanks for sharing!
    c

    Quote Originally Posted by chourouk View Post
    I'm from Algeria ... and your notice is really correct !
    we often use the word (dear) in our speech ..
    I want to say in most Arabic countries we use this word significantly in our conversation and public language!

    Perhaps it is a translation of the word "عزيزي" which we use always in our daily lives ....
    For example : When I speak with someone ,I tell him:"Thank you for your help dear", "I need your advice, dear" ect ... and rarely mention his/her name !

    You can say 'Dear' means sir, or any other person you don't have a close relationship with him ..

    It's just a style of speech !

  6. #6
    Tullia's Avatar
    Tullia is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    628
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Dear

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I think that it depends on the source. If it came from another native speaker, I would find it very condescending. Here on the forum, however, I find it rather sweet.
    I agree, I find the use of terms of endearment from native speakers who are total strangers very inappropriate.

    On the forum or in a situation with a non-native speaker, where I know no offence is intended, I don't feel annoyed - but I also think I still find it slightly uncomfortable.

    I also think it's not very good practice to ignore it - on this forum, at least, where many members are here to learn the standards of modern English usage.
    Last edited by Tullia; 20-Oct-2010 at 11:21.

  7. #7
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Dear

    In some dialects of BrE, such expressions as dear, my dear, love, pet, honey, etc were, until very recently, quite common among the (dare I say it?) lower classes. In these days of political correctness, the use of such expressions is being discouraged. Older men used to be able to address younger female colleagues as my dear. I suspect that if I were to do that these days I would cause offence, and probably be officially reprimanded.

Similar Threads

  1. hi,dear
    By rashel84 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jul-2008, 14:25
  2. Dear All
    By LeszekN in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-May-2008, 00:36
  3. Hello my dear,
    By Abdul Matin Ghafori in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2007, 01:19
  4. Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Lady/Sir??
    By EnglishTime in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2007, 08:27
  5. Dear/-
    By Anna88 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2007, 11:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •