[Grammar] What does it mean 'on holiday'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear friends,

I have two questions.

#1 What is the difference between "last year Nick and his parents flew to Greece on holiday" and "they flew to Greece for a holiday"?

#2 "Tom's been on holiday. He's got a suntan." Does it suggest that he is not on holiday at the moment?

Thank you!

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear friends,

I have two questions.

#1 What is the difference between "last year Nick and his parents flew to Greece on holiday" and "they flew to Greece for a holiday"? No difference of meaning.

#2 "Tom's been on holiday. He's got a suntan." Does it suggest that he is not on holiday at the moment? Yes, it does.

Thank you!

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, bhaisahab, I have two more questions.

#1 "last year Nick and his parents flew to Greece on holiday", can we explain it as 'they flew to Greece during their holiday'?

#2 "last year Nick and his parents flew to Greece on holiday" and "they flew to Greece for their holiday", are they both natural way to say? not old-fashion?

Thank you!

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Thank you, bhaisahab, I have two more questions.

#1 "last year Nick and his parents flew to Greece on holiday", can we explain it as 'they flew to Greece during their holiday'?

Yes you could, but the "on holiday" part really tells you why they flew there. Compare it with "flew to Greece for/on business."

#2 "last year Nick and his parents flew to Greece on holiday" and "they flew to Greece for their holiday", are they both natural way to say? not old-fashion?

Thank you!

I think they are both fine but perhaps the first option is better. Also, the term is "old-fashioned".

Hope that helps.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes you could, but the "on holiday" part really tells you why they flew there. Compare it with "flew to Greece for/on business."

I think they are both fine but perhaps the first option is better. Also, the term is "old-fashioned".

Hope that helps.
Yes, Munch, it really helps. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.