Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 234
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    fulfil one'e obligation

    Does native speaker say
    fulfil one's obligation?
    for example
    She was allowed not to fulfil her obligation in school holidays.

  1. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 5,981
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: fulfil one'e obligation

    Quote Originally Posted by ziawj2 View Post
    Does native speaker say
    fulfil one's obligation?
    for example
    She was allowed not to fulfil her obligation in school holidays.
    This is almost the same as your other post. "She was not required to fulfill her obligation during the school holidays" or "She didnīt have to fulfill her obligation......"

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 234
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: fulfil one'e obligation

    Thanks. But is it accepted for native speakers to say "be allowed not to do sth."? For example,
    She was allowed not to fulfil her obligation.

  2. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 5,981
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: fulfil one'e obligation

    Quote Originally Posted by ziawj2 View Post
    Thanks. But is it accepted for native speakers to say "be allowed not to do sth."? For example,
    She was allowed not to fulfil her obligation.
    Itīs awkward, but seems to me to be correct. I would be interested to hear other opinions. My previous suggestions and "she was released from her obligation" are more practical ways of expressing this.

  3. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: fulfil one'e obligation

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    Itīs awkward, but seems to me to be correct. I would be interested to hear other opinions. My previous suggestions and "she was released from her obligation" are more practical ways of expressing this.
    I have the same feeling as you - I understand the meaning but it sounds awkward. Maybe it is because "not allowed to" is so common, hearing "allowed not to" is just jarring. Just a guess though.

Similar Threads

  1. difference between fulfil and fulfill
    By pallavi kakkar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Aug-2010, 10:58
  2. purpose vs obligation
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-May-2008, 15:24
  3. obligation,be my guest,buy you a lunch
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2007, 08:22
  4. no obligation
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2007, 18:00
  5. realize fulfil a dream?
    By ripley in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-May-2005, 22:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •