Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: native idioms

  1. #1
    Ahmad Safwat's Avatar
    Ahmad Safwat is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like

    native idioms

    Every one post his suggestions about how to translate the native idioms to English.

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad Safwat View Post
    Every one post his suggestions about how to translate the native idioms to English.
    Decide what the idiom means in your native language - that is, what is its literal meaning.
    If you know an English idiom that has the same meaning, use it. If not, express the same idea in ordinary English.

  3. #3
    Ahmad Safwat's Avatar
    Ahmad Safwat is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Decide what the idiom means in your native language - that is, what is its literal meaning.
    If you know an English idiom that has the same meaning, use it. If not, express the same idea in ordinary English.
    Thanks Raymott, It's a good solution.

  4. #4
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native idioms

    That's a good way of handling things- translating idioms literally and then giving an explanation can work, but there's always a risk of making things confusing for the reader.

  5. #5
    Ahmad Safwat's Avatar
    Ahmad Safwat is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    That's a good way of handling things- translating idioms literally and then giving an explanation can work, but there's always a risk of making things confusing for the reader.
    Thanks Tdol, but do you know a website has all idioms instead of words?

    I think it's so hard .

  6. #6
    helioo is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad Safwat View Post
    Thanks Tdol, but do you know a website has all idioms instead of words?

    I think it's so hard .
    I think this sites help you
    goenglish.com/BigNewEnglishIdiomsPhrasesLearningDictionaryKeywor dsIndex.asp



    idioms.thefreedictionary.com/

Similar Threads

  1. native x native-born
    By Abstract Idea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2009, 10:29
  2. [Grammar] Which difference between 'native Italian' and 'Italian native'...?
    By SunMoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-May-2009, 14:03
  3. Do non-native speakers outnumber native ones
    By stefan_kar in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-May-2009, 16:26
  4. How non-native speakers reach native level of English?
    By thedaffodils in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2009, 10:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •