Thread: meaning

chris Guest

Default meaning

Hi teacher,

I have difficulty understanding the bracketed paragraph of the following passage. Could you do me a favor?

The poor son-of-bitch talking and talking and not ever getting anybody to understand what he meant. Not knowing himself, most likely. And the way he gravitated around the deaf-mute and picked him out and tried to make him a free present of everything in him.

Why?

[Because in some men it is in them to give up everything personal at some time, before it ferments and poisons - throw it to some human being or some human idea. Thay have to. In some men it is in them - The text is 'All men seek for Thee.']

Thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: meaning

[Because in some men it is in them to give up everything personal at some time, before it ferments and poisons - throw it to some human being or some human idea. Thay have to. In some men it is in them - The text is 'All men seek for Thee.']

I think it means that we can't keep things bottled up inside for too long, we need to share certain thoughts or feelings with others before they start eating away at us. He uses the phrase "ferments and poisons" because he probably needs to get some stuff off his chest and he finds it possible by sharing it with the mute.

Just a guess....