Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 11
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Thumbs up American Pronunciation

    I just think we should have a thread for American Pronunciation in this forum.

    Let me start by this question.
    I learn that American people prefer (teens) pronouncing "in' " to original "ing"
    Ex., loving it => lovin' it.

    Is that pronunciation way common all over USA or just in a few states ?
    Which one is mostly used by Americans ?


    Thanks a lot

  1. Steven D's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 834
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: American Pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by tot2ivn
    I just think we should have a thread for American Pronunciation in this forum.

    Let me start by this question.
    I learn that American people prefer (teens) pronouncing "in' " to original "ing"
    Ex., loving it => lovin' it.

    Is that pronunciation way common all over USA or just in a few states ?
    Which one is mostly used by Americans ?


    Thanks a lot

    It's informal colloquial pronunciation. It's common enough, but it doesn't happen all the time.


    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 8
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Red face Re: American Pronunciation

    I think it's very common, especially for rappers or rockers....However, I don't love it very much. It makes me feel like I'm a black American


    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 11
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: American Pronunciation

    Thanks, I just wondered so.
    Coz I heard that way of pronunciation a lot in American movies.

  2. Steven D's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 834
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: American Pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDave
    I think it's very common, especially for rappers or rockers....However, I don't love it very much. It makes me feel like I'm a black American
    You have to say why it makes you feel that way.

    I take it you don't like to feel that way?

    Please explain.

    Last edited by Steven D; 11-Jul-2005 at 12:47.


    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 4
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Smile Re: American Pronunciation

    Yaaa Its Very Comman They Spell Words As They Pronounce
    Like Colour.....color......

    Love.........luv......

    Like This There Are Many


    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 8
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: American Pronunciation

    Actually here in Japan Mc Donalds released theit global commercial and it clearly stated "I'm lonin' it!".
    Of couse this has caught on and has become the norm...

  3. Steven D's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 834
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: American Pronunciation

    Quote Originally Posted by J-P
    Actually here in Japan Mc Donalds released theit global commercial and it clearly stated "I'm lonin' it!".
    Of couse this has caught on and has become the norm...

    I think people were using stative verbs such as "like" and "love" progressively well before the McDonald's advertisement appeared.


    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 8
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Unhappy Re: American Pronunciation

    I can't explain why... Maybe it's because we don't understand a lots about the Western cultures.! Those words come to me from the movies..especially black people. In the movies, they are often homeless, none educated, stupid,..or something like that. It doesn't mean I hate them. Why don't you go and ask the American directors ?


    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 4
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: American Pronunciation

    Hi Dave
    I Am Of Opinion That Movies Generally Influence People But Its Not The Main Cause And I Disagree With Ur Opinion That Only Blaks Use That Type Of Language . I Have Seen In Many Public Demonstrations In Which They Carrry Tabloid Of Such English Which Is Popular .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. can you please correct my essay
    By hmong04 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-May-2010, 16:16
  2. universal english?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2005, 06:51
  3. How should we look on pronunciation?
    By phoenixtree in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2004, 03:48
  4. about AE pronunciation
    By amigo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2004, 12:40
  5. British and American accents in music
    By Friendy in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2003, 02:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •