Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do British people pronounce the "w" in "Halloween"?
Is the American pronunciation the same as the British?
Thanks in advance.

Aeneus23

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi!
yeah! the "w" of halloween is pronounciated as a "u" but the mouth has got the same shape as you were saying a "o".The phonetic symbol of this kind of "u" is "ʊ", but i don't know the difference beteween the U.S. pronounciation and the british one...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do British people pronounce the "w" in "Halloween"?
Is the American pronunciation the same as the British?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, you pronounce the 'w'.
Simply it's "Hallo" + "ween", but the 'o' is shortened, and also weakened almost to a schwa in AusE, and perhaps elsewhere.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi!
yeah! the "w" of halloween is pronounciated as a "u" but the mouth has got the same shape as you were saying a "o".The phonetic symbol of this kind of "u" is "ʊ", but i don't know the difference beteween the U.S. pronounciation and the british one...
Aeneus,
1. It is not pronounced ([STRIKE]pronunciated[/STRIKE]) as "u".
2. /ʊ/is the symbol representing the vowel sound in the word put.
3. the phonemic symbol for the sound represented by the letter w in hallowe'en is /w/

Aeneus23

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks for the correction of "pronounced"; as for halloween, why is the u of halloween written like a /ʊ/ on the vocabulary?.I'm asking you this question because this difference between the real sound and that which is written on the vocabulary it's very common in other words! For example the word "more" is written on the vocabulary with this symbol /ɔ/. but actually "more" is pronounced with this kind of o /o/ (closed). could you explain this difference to me?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for the correction of "pronounced"; as for halloween, why is the u of halloween written like a /ʊ/ on the vocabulary?.I'm asking you this question because this difference between the real sound and that which is written on the vocabulary it's very common in other words! For example the word "more" is written on the vocabulary with this symbol /ɔ/. but actually "more" is pronounced with this kind of o /o/ (closed). could you explain this difference to me?

As far as BrE is concerned, hallowe'en is pronounced/hæləʊˈiːn/; the ʊ/ symbols represent the O (oh) diphthong sound of hallow. We do not usually put in a symbol for /w/, as this sound happens automatically when the speaker glides from ʊ/to /[FONT=&quot]iː/.

As regards more,
[/FONT]/ɔ:/ is the generally accepted symbol for this sound. For most writers on phonology, the sound represented by the symbol /o/ does not exist in English.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As far as BrE is concerned, hallowe'en is pronounced/hæləʊˈiːn/; the /əʊ/ symbols represent the O (oh) diphthong sound of hallow. We do not usually put in a symbol for /w/, as this sound happens automatically when the speaker glides from /əʊ/to /iː/.

As regards more, /ɔ/ is the generally accepted symbol for this sound. For most writers on phonology, the sound represented by the symbol /o/ does not exist in English.
On the other hand, I say /ˌhæl
thinsp.png
əˈwi:n/, which is given as an alternative
pronunciation here: Halloween | Define Halloween at Dictionary.com

If you don't pronounce a full /əʊ/, you need to insert the /w/.

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.