Thread: being, and

Post Thanks / Like

Default being, and

Being native to the high altitude, dry areas of the Rocky Mountains of California, Nevada and Utah, bristlecone pine is a tree that most people never have the chance to see.
    1. is the "Being" necessary in the sentence?
    2.should I put an "and" before "dry areas of ...."?
    3.should I use "a chance to see" or "the chance to see"?

thanks

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: being, and

Quote Originally Posted by mengta
    Being native to the high altitude, dry areas of the Rocky Mountains of California, Nevada and Utah, bristlecone pine is a tree that most people never have the chance to see.
    1. is the "Being" necessary in the sentence?
    2.should I put an "and" before "dry areas of ...."?
    3.should I use "a chance to see" or "the chance to see"?

thanks
    Hello Mengta

There are various possibilities here. But first, you need to put a 'the' before bristlecone pine. 'the chance' or 'a chance' both sound fine to me. Probably you should put 'dry' before 'high altitude', too. Here are some options:

1. Being native to the dry, high altitude areas of the Rocky Mountains of California, Nevada and Utah, the bristlecone pine is a tree that most people never have the chance to see.

2. Native to the dry, high altitude areas of the Rocky Mountains of California, Nevada and Utah, the bristlecone pine is a tree that most people never have the chance to see.

3. A native of the dry, high altitude areas of the Rocky Mountains of California, Nevada and Utah, the bristlecone pine is a tree that most people never have the chance to see.

If you think that the fact that few people see it is related to its habitat, you can say:

4. Since it is native to the dry, high altitude areas of the Rocky Mountains of California, Nevada and Utah, the bristlecone pine is a tree that most people never have the chance to see.

Other members may have other opinions, though!

Bye,
    MrP