Children and young people

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnon

Member Type
Other
My dictionary defines 'people' as: any group of human beings (men or women or children) collectively

Doesn't this make a nonsense of the often-heard expression 'Children and young people' ? Surely, children are young people so it's like saying: young people and young people!

John.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
My dictionary defines 'people' as: any group of human beings (men or women or children) collectively

Doesn't this make a nonsense of the often-heard expression 'Children and young people' ? Surely, children are young people so it's like saying: young people and young people!

John.
Adolescents are often referred to as young people. I would use the expression "children and young people" to refer to children and adolescents. While I think you have a valid point, I wouldn´t refer to children as young people.

johnon

Member Type
Other
Adolescents are often referred to as young people. I would use the expression "children and young people" to refer to children and adolescents. While I think you have a valid point, I wouldn´t refer to children as young people.

I would think that "children and young adults" would make more sense than "children and young people" :)

To my mind, the expression "children and young people" automatically implies that children aren't people. No wonder the generations are getting increasingly alienated :)

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.