Seeking teacher advice on effective teaching methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazeDaze

Member Type
English Teacher
I am working on my TESOL course and wanted ask a seasoned teacher about their most effective teaching method experience. If anyone can describe their experience, I would be very grateful for the insights.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you mean using an individual teaching method? By and large, I find that methods are regarded as pools of ideas and techniques to be taken, used and adapted as seen fit rather than followed in their entirety.

DazeDaze

Member Type
English Teacher
I agree about using various methods based on the situation. But the reason I need an example of one is because my assignment requires an interview from a ESL teacher about their most effective teaching method experience.

Thanks for moving the thread.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree about using various methods based on the situation. But the reason I need an example of one is because my assignment requires an interview from a ESL teacher about their most effective teaching method experience.

Thanks for moving the thread.

I think you have two options:
1. Find a real live teacher and interview him/her face to face.
2. Ask very specific questions in this forum (one to a thread) and see what you get. Tdol has given the best short general answer you are likely to receive.

DazeDaze

Member Type
English Teacher
Please describe your most effective teaching method experience.

thx

iainmac

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Italy
How about defining teaching circumstances?
- age of learners
- size of class
- declared aims of course (e.g.spoken English for general purposes or written English for specific purposes)

DazeDaze

Member Type
English Teacher
Sorry, the assignment question is misleading. From my interpretation, and what I plan to write about, I need a teacher to describe and reflect upon a single teaching moment in the classroom that proved to be one of their most successfull teaching moments. With some explanation on how and why it was a success in educating the students.

sana618

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sorry, the assignment question is misleading. From my interpretation, and what I plan to write about, I need a teacher to describe and reflect upon a single teaching moment in the classroom that proved to be one of their most successfull teaching moments. With some explanation on how and why it was a success in educating the students.

I don't think a teacher has any one single moment of success. every day is a success if a student understands and learns what the teacher is trying to teach them.
But if you want to know just one moment from those successes then I can tell you one of mine.
While I was teaching spoken English to the 7th grade I noticed that they got very board with the Grammar lessons, so instead of giving them examples on my own I started to ask them after explaining to them (shall we say for example synonyms and antonyms) They started to give examples and it turned into a class discussion. So from then on I have always tried to turn these Grammar lessons into class discussions as much as possible.

I hope this was of some use to you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Many, many years ago I was teaching a class about conditional sentences. I uttered the authoritative words, "We NEVER use will (or 'll) in the if-clause". I was heartened to see my students writing down this helpful rule. I was less heartened a few moments later when one of my students asked me why I frequently said, "If you'll leave your homework on my desk as you go, I'll get it back to you tomorrow".

:oops:

Since that day I have never used the words 'never' or 'always' when giving "rules" ;-). And I have tried to check my facts thoroughly before giving "rules".

narendra_av

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi sir this is a student trying 2 improve his precis writing and descriptive writing. plz help him and it will improve his career..... pleading u. sir:)

Status
Not open for further replies.