[Grammar] "The couple hope that" or "The couple hopes that"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinbong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, dear teachers:

One of my English textbook I'm currently working on is written by British teachers. And one of the sentences in it says:

The couple hope that all people love life.

But after I transcribed this passage into Win Word and used WORD's spellcheck, which was set to American grammar, I was suggested to revise the "hope" to "hopes"

The couple hopes that all people love life.

Is this just another example of the differences between BrE and AmE?? Or one of them is not correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, this is a difference between British English and American English that comes up quite often. Wikipedia has a brief discussion of this issue.

Remember also that the spelling and grammar check is a very useful initial facility, but it is mindless. It picks up obvious misspellings and concord bloopers, but can also pick up things that are totally correct. You (with the help of reliable authorities) are the final judge.

Passive forms used by me are often picked up by my grammar check. Active forms are clearly preferred by the programmer, but passive forms are perfectly acceptable, so I sail on regardless.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Agreed, fivejedjon.

Like you, I leave it on because it helps to pick up my silly mistakes, but like you said, you can't let it tell you what to do! Students of English as a second language should not trust it either.

I think the "passive voice is evil" idea comes from "Strunk and White's vile little compendium of tripe about style." It has really stuck around.

Status
Not open for further replies.