Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"You got served."

OR

"You've been served."

I've heard both of them in conversation. Guess the first one is not completely grammatically accurate?

I've also heard people say when sitting in a restaurant "I already got served." and "I've been served."

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"You got served."colloquial

OR

"You've been served." fine

I've heard both of them in conversation. Guess the first one is not completely grammatically accurate? let's say 'colloquial' rather than 'ungrammatical'.

I've also heard people say when sitting in a restaurant "I already got served." colloquial and "I've been served."fine

5jj

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So "got" basically means "have been" ? Can it possibly be used in phrases like "got told" or perhaps any other?

No. 'got' is roughly equivalent to 'was' in passives. It tends to be used with vebs that are a little more dynamic in their meaning. So we are more likely to hear #1 than #2:

1. I got told off. [= scolded, rebuked]
2. I got told (that I was wrong).

The use of BE in passive constructions is generally more acceptable than GET, though you hear GET frequently in conversation.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No. 'got' is roughly equivalent to 'was' in passives. It tends to be used with vebs that are a little more dynamic in their meaning. So we are more likely to hear #1 than #2:

1. I got told off. [= scolded, rebuked]
2. I got told (that I was wrong).

The use of BE in passive constructions is generally more acceptable than GET, though you hear GET frequently in conversation.

Could you please compile a small list of verbs that may be used with "got" instead of "was'?

How about "show"? I got shown?

"There has been a chemical overspill. So I got redirected by the police."?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could you please compile a small list of verbs that may be used with "got" instead of "was'?

No. It's very much a matter of personal choice - and my personal choice is normally to use BE. But then, I am a little old-fashioned and formal in my speech.

I have a feeling, and it's only a feeling, that it may be more commonly used with a negative overtone:

Our team got beaten yesterday.
He got fired
for being drunk on duty,

My Collins Cobuild English Usage tells me: "In conversation you often use get for passives. ... Note that you only use get ... to refer to an event which is not planned or intended, or which happens later or less often than intended. ... You do not use get to form passives in formal English."

Status
Not open for further replies.