Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I‘ve been teaching listening class for three years. My students are three-year college freshmen. After each class, when I reflex I often feel I didn't monitor their listening well enough, thus I was slow to detect their listeing problem and failed to help them sometimes. I wond if there's any other way of finding out the listening barriers in class other than infering from their answer feedbacks or facial expressions. I have to say, it's no use to ask them "why couldn't you understand? And where?" It's especially difficult when it's an unresponsive class. Can you help me? Any welcome is welcome:)

RickDavies

Member Type
English Teacher
Just a couple of ideas:
You could conduct one or two listening test and find out who are the better students and who are the weaker. They can then be paired together. I found this good for classes that were unresponsive and didn't want to lose face admitting they didn't understand.
You could also ask the class questions or use listening material that proke an immediate reaction - something funny, shocking or particularly interesting and check their reactions.
Rick

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I‘ve been teaching listening class for three years. My students are three-year college freshmen. After each class, when I reflex I often feel I didn't monitor their listening well enough, thus I was slow to detect their listeing problem and failed to help them sometimes. I wond if there's any other way of finding out the listening barriers in class other than infering from their answer feedbacks or facial expressions. I have to say, it's no use to ask them "why couldn't you understand? And where?" It's especially difficult when it's an unresponsive class. Can you help me? Any welcome is welcome:)

The mirror of listening skills is to be found in speaking skills. Your listening class can have a phonetics and public speaking component, as well as comprehension tests. In other words, it is impossible or implausible to completely separate listening from speaking.

marymay12

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Just a couple of ideas:
You could conduct one or two listening test and find out who are the better students and who are the weaker. They can then be paired together. I found this good for classes that were unresponsive and didn't want to lose face admitting they didn't understand.
You could also ask the class questions or use listening material that proke an immediate reaction - something funny, shocking or particularly interesting and check their reactions.
Rick
That's a good idea. Thank you. I'll try it at once.

marymay12

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In fact, we do have phonetic part and oral practice part. But when it comes to the listening part, it' easy to lose the focus on practising a particular listening skill and listening process is so fast that a teacher has little time to detect the performance of his /her class and thus lose the chance to guide them.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.