[General] Can you check if the expressions are correct or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, teachers

I have some questions about some expressions.

First, In the following question, is it O.K. to put "main actor" in the blank?

ex) He played the __________ in the movie.

Second, I think there are possible answers appropriate for the blank like "leading role" "lead role" and "main character". Are they correct?

Third, if I say "I'm in English major" instead of "I'm an English major" or "I'm in English language", is it gramatically correct?

Fourth, can "normal" be another word for "plain" when desribing someone who isn't pretty and ugly, either,

Fifth, In the expression "Can I go to the bathroom?", can the definite article "the" be deleted? If so, is it only allowed in speech level, even though it isn't grammatically correct?

I'm so sorry to post many questions at a time.
Thank you very much in advance!!!:lol:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hi, teachers

I have some questions about some expressions.

First, In the following question, is it O.K. to put "main actor" in the blank?

ex) He played the __________ in the movie.No. He was the main actor.

Second, I think there are possible answers appropriate for the blank like "leading role" Yes "lead role" I would say lead and "main character". Yes Are they correct?

Third, if I say "I'm in English major" instead of "I'm an English major" or "I'm in English language", is it gramatically correct? No. "I'm an English major" is the only correct choice.
Fourth, can "normal" be another word for "plain" when desribing someone who isn't pretty and ugly, either. Yes, but for me, plain has a somewhat negative connotation. The person you describe could be characterized as ordinary looking. Perhaps there will be better suggestions from other members.
Fifth, In the expression "Can I go to the bathroom?", can the definite article "the" be deleted? No.If so, is it only allowed in speech level, even though it isn't grammatically correct?

Thank you very much in advance!!!:lol:
:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

You are far more likely to get responses if you post different questions on different threads.

I'll take one: Fourth, can "normal" be another word for "plain" when describing someone who isn't pretty [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] or ugly, either (better: who is neither pretty nor ugly)?

No, not without some expansion such as 'normal, neither pretty nor ugly'.

Status
Not open for further replies.