Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: pony guns

  1. #1
    maiabulela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default pony guns

    Dear all,

    I'm translating an audio and there is some missing word. I'll provide the context and if you can give me any suggestions, I'll be so grateful.

    She is talking about people in America changing their minds:

    "Weren't we cool at first with the British and then we ...... pony guns"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What is the relation bet. any pony guns and Americans and the british??

    I'm still searching for somebody to send some very very short clips.It won't take time.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pony guns

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,

    I'm translating an audio and there is some missing word. I'll provide the context and if you can give me any suggestions, I'll be so grateful.

    She is talking about people in America changing their minds:

    "Weren't we cool at first with the British and then we ...... pony guns"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What is the relation bet. any pony guns and Americans and the british??

    I'm still searching for somebody to send some very very short clips.It won't take time.

    Thanks.
    Difficult without hearing it. Is it possible that it's not pony guns but something like ....p any guns/only guns ?

  3. #3
    maiabulela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pony guns

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Difficult without hearing it. Is it possible that it's not pony guns but something like ....p any guns/only guns ?

    Can we exchange e-mails and I send you the part. It won't take you any time bec. it's you language but I'm wasting my time in vain here!

  4. #4
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pony guns

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Can we exchange e-mails and I send you the part. It won't take you any time bec. it's you language but I'm wasting my time in vain here!
    Sorry. Nothing personal at all, but I keep my private email address completely separate from my UE life.

  5. #5
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pony guns

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,

    I'm translating an audio and there is some missing word. I'll provide the context and if you can give me any suggestions, I'll be so grateful.

    She is talking about people in America changing their minds:

    "Weren't we cool at first with the British and then we ...... pony guns"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What is the relation bet. any pony guns and Americans and the british??

    I'm still searching for somebody to send some very very short clips.It won't take time.

    Thanks.
    It sounds as if the reference to the British may refer to the Revolutionary War, but "pony guns" doesn't sound right. Who is the speaker/what is the context?

  6. #6
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pony guns

    Then we were pointing guns?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. [Idiom] going great guns
    By brokenunicorn13 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2010, 18:56
  2. show pony
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2008, 13:29
  3. bed of guns -meaning
    By lukre in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2007, 23:52
  4. shanks's pony
    By felicityaw in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2006, 04:18
  5. guns
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2004, 09:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •