Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
He had the courage to ask her out for a date.

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
He had the courage to ask her out for a date.

Yes.

The expression may be used positively or negatively. Without additional context one cannot be sure, but I suspect that the speaker in this example was using it negatively - he had the nerve/cheek/impudence to ask me out!

Note that balls is a slang term for testicles. To have the balls to ... is therefore not an expression that would be considered appropriate in more sensitive circles

nagafa

Member Type
Student or Learner
@birdeen's call: Thanks for your help

@fivejedjon: Thanks but I support birdeen's call as the complete sentence makes sense with that meaning, I was just wondering * and curious as well * how "balls" means courage or guts ! :-D

and Thanks both again for your help ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By considering those male bits as the source of a man's courages and strength, if a man has the courage and strength to do something, you say he had the balls to do it. Guts is another slangy way to say courage.

And do please note 5jj's comment that it's considered a bit vulgar in some circles. For some reason, using the Spanish word for them makes it less vulgar so you'll hear that in the US as well.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
For some reason, using the Spanish word for them makes it less vulgar so you'll hear that in the US as well.

Maybe that is because a foreign expression does not carry the same 'weight' as a native one, if you know what I mean. Although you fully understand the term, the fact that it is expressed in another language somehow turns it lighter.

The opposite happens frequently in this forum. Many swear words in English are used by non native English speakers with much more ease and readiness, even when they know exactly the meaning of them.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Not an ESL teacher

By considering those male bits as the source of a man's courage and strength, if a man has the courage and strength to do something, you say he had the balls to do it.

I think it is also important to state clearly that this expression, although largely used with the meanings already explained, is highly biased and implies the prejudice that men are more courageous and strong (in several senses) than women.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not an ESL teacher

I think it is also important to state clearly that this expression, although largely used with the meanings already explained, is highly biased and implies the prejudice that men are more courageous and strong (in several senses) than women.

Prejudice? ;-)

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Prejudice? ;-)

Sorry fivejedjon. I don't know if I used the wrong word or if you are just joking and being sarcastic.

If the case is the first option, then please let me know the correct word here - I think
you understand what I meant.

If the case is the second one, it may be a controversial matter. But I have the [STRIKE]balls[/STRIKE] (censored) enough to admit it is biased. (I don't know to how much extent am I in a sensitive circle).

Finally, for the learners, it should be clear that, in normal conditions, this expression is used solely by men.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Finally, for the learners, it should be clear that, in normal conditions, this expression is used solely by men.
The OP's sentence seems to refute this. (Seems to me, but that could be caused by my prejudice that most people are heterosexual.)

Maybe you meant "used to describe men"? Well, I think that's not entirely true either (see this for example).

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Maybe you meant "used to describe men"? Well, I think that's not entirely true either (see this for example).

That is what I meant. I thought it was implicit. But your remark is completely pertinent. I said that in normal conditions a lady should not state that she 'has the balls'.
Of course I am talking about someone learning English. If she knows exactly what that means and in a certain situation she wants to use it, just go for it. What is more important is to express herself, no doubt about it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sorry fivejedjon. I don't know if I used the wrong word or if you are just joking and being sarcastic.

You used the right word. My post was a (not very) humorous attempt to suggest that the idea that men are more courageous and strong (in several senses) than women is not prejudice. The implication was that it was fact.

ackeiyword

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bhutani
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
Austria
Someone dares to do something or has courage to do something...

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Reactions: 5jj
Status