Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
[FONT=&quot]Dear teachers,
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence? [/FONT]

His glides ended not with the usual feet-down splash into the sea, but with a long flat wake as he touched the surface with his feet tightly streamlined against his body. (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

wake = the wave that spreads behind a boat as it moves forward (at the present case behind Jonathan’s smoothly sliding body with his tightly bended feet )

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Last edited:

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm not a teacher, but I worked several years in shipbuilding, and I know, that a wake is the track that appears in the water behind a moving boat/ship/vessel, in your example, a seagull :)

Reactions: vil

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I'm not a teacher, but I worked several years in shipbuilding, and I know, that a wake is the track that appears in the water behind a moving boat/ship/vessel, in your example, a seagull :)

Okay, you are right. However, you should also know that a comma can never be followed by "THAT". In that case the correct word would be "WHICH". It is not in order to bother you, I am just telling this for you to know...

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
...or WHO. Thanks Leandro-z for pointing that out, but we'd better not discuss defining and non-defining clauses in Vil's thread.

fadysandy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
in the wake of

= In the noticeable disturbance of water behind (a maritime vessel).

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
a long flat wake = a long scarcely perceptible track

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
However, you should also know that a comma can never be followed by "THAT". In that case the correct word would be "WHICH". It is not in order to bother you, I am just telling this for you to know...

Off-topic or not, that statement needs to be challenged.

Who told you, Leandro, that a comma can never be followed by that? I've just done it twice - perfectly grammatically.

That's completely incorrect advice.

Furthermore, changing that after the (incorrect) comma to which is nonsense.

Rover

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Okay, sorry if it turned into a misunderstanding. It was just for you to know (or to remind you)

Last edited:

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
And another thing: WHO can follow a comma in a non-defining clause. For example:

Robert, who really likes ice-cream, back out my proposal.

...but you can`t say:

The theory, that was firstly explained by Galileo Galilei, was related to the genetic relation between monkeys and human beings.

instead, you write:

The theory, which was firstly explained by Galileo Galilei, was related to the gentic relation between monkeys and human beings.

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
In that case, Rover, it is the same as in Spanish. The verb can never be followed by a comma. However, there are exceptions. For example, when you beging the sentence with a linker. In the cases you showed us, there is a linker or you are adding something. What I tried to explain is that, in the case of Verona, "that" can`t follow the comma beacause, otherwise, the sense is lost. It is wrong to separate the VERB from the THAT CLAUSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.