[General] The narrator is native english speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Dear all,

Please watch and listen the following youtube videos, do you think the narrator is native english speaker? Do you think he is a good model for us to learn spoken english?

YouTube -

YouTube -

YouTube -

EngFan

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, I think it's a native speaker of English, speaking so called Received Pronunciation. It's a very good model.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, I think it's a native speaker of English, speaking so called Received Pronunciation. It's a very good model.

I agree. A clear speaker of BrE RP.

The [FONT=&quot]/aʊ/ sound (among other things) reveal that it is not quite the 'refined' RP that was normal in BBC news and documentary programmes until well into the 1960's - and beyond: listen to David Attenbrough's accent in his well-known nature programmes. But, as BC says, it's a very good model - for formal situations in the BrE world. Among younger speakers, some might consider it a little 'posh.'[/FONT]

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
Dear all,

Please watch and listen the following youtube videos, do you think the narrator is native english speaker? Do you think he is a good model for us to learn spoken english?

YouTube -

YouTube -

YouTube -

EngFan

I think that is BBC programme called 'The Story of English'. Youtube has the whole collection, if I'm not mistaken.. But note that the programme was made around 80's hence the pronunciation might not be 'current'

Status
Not open for further replies.