Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Since I don't have the context I can't give it to you. I'd like to know the meaning of the idiom. What does it mean "molasses"?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Molasses is a very thick syrup derived from sugar cane. When cold, it is even more viscous (slow to pour).

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Heard it, use it.

With and without the "in January" part.

You're as slow as molasses. Get a move on!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does the UK use molasses much? Could be why. I think it's a "New World" product more than European. The reverse of Nutella.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does the UK use molasses much? Could be why. I think it's a "New World" product more than European. The reverse of Nutella.

No

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm presuming that this idiom is used more frequently in AmE in cold-weather states; that is, areas that experience below-zero temperatures during the winter months. Growing up in Michigan, which often has bitterly cold winters, I heard "slow as molasses in January" more times than I can count, but I doubt that the phrase was used as frequently in, say, Texas or Arizona households. ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No molasses in the UK. How sad! When you come to Philadelphia, I will bake you molasses cookies.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No molasses in the UK. How sad! When you come to Philadelphia, I will bake you molasses cookies.
We do get molasses here, in health shops, being a vegetarian of long standing I use health food shops and am familiar with (and have bought) molasses. However, I had never heard the idiom.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We do get molasses here, in health shops, being a vegetarian of long standing I use health food shops and am familiar with (and have bought) molasses. However, I had never heard the idiom.
Being a carnivore of long standing, I don't frequent health food shops.

Sorry if my previous 'no' suggested that molasses were (was?) unobtainable in Britain. I was actually answering the question, "Does the UK use molasses much?" (my emphasis added).

bhaisahab's answer suggests that I am right in saying that molasses are (is?) not used much. However, the number of people using health food shops has been growing rapidly for some years now, and my answer may soon be incorrect.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fivejedjon, molasses has its pockets of popularity in the US as well. It is used with much more frequency in the American South than, for example, in the Midwest (where I grew up). Nevertheless, we Midwesterners were familiar with the product (a lot of Moms used it strictly for baking in certain recipes, plus we saw it used in movies and on TV shows) so the idiom still became common phraseology in my area. (I remember seeing bottles of molasses near the maple syrup on grocery shelves while shopping with my Mom, and when I'd ask about it, she'd screw up her face in disgust and say "No, that's too thick and too sweet and you wouldn't like it." Many years later I married a man who was born and raised in Georgia, and who introduced me to the Southern tradition of molasses on freshly baked biscuits for breakfast. Oh, such satisfying, hearty deliciousness!! :up::turn-l: But I still can't convince my Mom to give it a try.)

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for that, Ouisch. I gather from your molasses has its pockets of popularity in the US as well. It is used... that the noun is uncountable. The final '-s' had always made me think it was a plural word.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are correct; molasses is a singular noun. :-D

Reactions: 5jj

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Isn't molasses a lot like our black treacle, bhaisahab?

Rover

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That reminds me of that line from Ghostbusters II - hardly the type of behavior you expect from a major household appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.