Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I read this sentence and I am wondering why both tenses are used "told" "is chosen"

He told the reporters that he would remain as president until a successor is chosen.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would say '...until a successor was chosen'.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I read this sentence and I am wondering why both tenses are used "told" "is chosen"

He told the reporters that he would remain as president until a successor is chosen.
It is common and normal to have different tenses in one sentence.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Like Rover K E, I too am more comfortable observing traditional tense concord here with 'was chosen'.

However, although informally one might well say

He told the reporters that he will remain as president until a successor is chosen.

, I confess to finding the particular choice of tense combinations here rather unnatural.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
PS: I agree. The first sentence is unnatural.
My previous reply was more a response to the title. I should have made clear that I agreed with Rover, and was merely adding something.

thomas615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Hello

thank you for your help.

I read this sentence on the website also using both tenses....why "it is unlikely"
I am confused

He said it's unlikely his client would be released from custody until his documents arrived in Hong Kong and were evaluated by the security officials, which could take as long as one month.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello

thank you for your help.

I read this sentence on the website also using both tenses....why "it is unlikely"
I am confused

He said it's unlikely his client would be released from custody until his documents arrived in Hong Kong and were evaluated by the security officials, which could take as long as one month.

This is the same situation as with your previous example. Most of us would write, " He said it was unlikely...".

Status
Not open for further replies.