Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
UK
Hello, this is my first post here.

I am half-way through CELTA course, and I was assigned an elementary class after teaching upper-intermediate students for 2 weeks. I have no problems with CCQ's on a higher level, but on monday I am presenting present simple positive as used to talk about routines and habits and I cannot think of any CCQ's for it! First of all, it is impossible to avoid using target language as students don't know any other tense. Secondly, I cannot use words like 'routine' or 'habit' because I cannot expect students to know them! A few new students will be joining a class on monday and as a matter of fact, I doubt they will even know the word 'usually'.
It's a multicultural class, which makes the use of L1 impossible (it's shunned by CELTA tutors anyway).

Thank you all in advance.

[edit] I just realized I'd posted this thread in a wrong forum. Moved it where it belongs. Apologies for confusion.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum.

I'ts very difficult to concept-check habit and routine when you can't contrast them with anything else. If you are really expected to work with affirmative forms only, is it possible that you may be being asked to work with form rather than function? By form I mean the third person singular ending: when is -s added, and when -es? What are the 'rules' for pronouncing the -(e)s ending in three different ways? If you are working with course books, have a look at the Teacher's Book, and see what suggestions are made there.

Ulybin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
UK
Yes, the main aspect of my lesson is third person singular in positive sentences (negatives and questions will be done on tuesday). Does that mean i can omit CCQ's for tense use altogether, and only worry about -s forms? That makes it so much easier! :D
Thank you very much!

PS Teachers book notes 1) The use of present simple to talk about routines and habits, 2) Form (I eat / he eats), 3) Spelling (-s, -es, -ies), 4) Pron (/s/, /z/, /iz/)
But I'm sure you're right, there's no way to CCQ the 1) on that level. Again, thanks a lot! :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I just hope I haven't led you astray.

It's not possible this time, if you have to deliver the lesson on Monday, but in future you could try clarifying with your trainer before you start preparing the lesson. On most CELTA courses, the trainers will be happy to clarify areas of doubt.

Last edited:

Ulybin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
UK
It's true, my tutor is very helpful, I just felt so confident about grammar CCQ's (it's vocab CCQ's that gave me some headache on upper-int), that I didn't even think of them when looking through my lesson yesterday. Won't be as cocky next time. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We live and learn.

Or perhaps we don't. Just to depress you: I was still being let down by my cockiness in my 40th year of teaching.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Not particularly useful now, but I would generally use something like a timeline to concept check habits or routines. "Do you do it every day/week?" shouldn't be too difficult a question for elementary level, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.