[Idiom] Fool and his money are soon parted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
First of all, it's my first post in this forum so I would like to say hi to everyone!

I'm a finance student and some time ago I found interesting idiom: A fool and his money are soon parted. I understand the idea and know what does it mean, but I'm wondering if it is possible to use it in past sentence.

Example:
I would like to write about someone who lost a fortune in short period of time. My problem is with word soon. In my opinion it doesn't sound good in past sentence. What about that: I know a guy who lost 1 000 000 Euro in two weeks - a fool and his money were parted.
Is it ok?

I would be really thankful for answer.
Sorry for mistakes!

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
First of all, it's my first post in this forum so I would like to say hi to everyone!
Hi and welcome.
I'm a finance student and some time ago I found an interesting idiom: A fool and his money are soon parted. I understand the idea and know what [STRIKE]does[/STRIKE] it means, but I'm wondering if it is possible to use it in a sentence about the past.
Yes, you can.

Example:
I would like to write about someone who lost a fortune in short period of time. My problem is with the word "soon". In my opinion it doesn't sound good in a sentence about the past. What about that: That's not true.
I know a guy who lost 1,000,000 Euros in two weeks - a fool and his money (are)(were) soon parted. :tick:

!

ackeiyword

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bhutani
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
Austria
I think that as it is a saying ,it is better to use simple present tense.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think that as it is a saying ,it is better to use simple present tense.

Yes, the saying is "...are soon parted."

But when one is talking about a specific incident, there is no reason one can't say '(Once again) a fool and his money were soon parted.'

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I know a guy who lost 1 000 000 Euro in two weeks - a fool and his money were parted.
Is it ok?

That still seems like soon to me. Idioms are there for our benefit, so we can change the wording - many do not have absolute fixed wording anyway - so it's not wrong to adapt and customise them for particular instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.