Thread: quotient

1. chris

quotient

Hi teacher:

I am not qutie sure about the meaning of the first sentence. Would you please do me a favor?

If I like it, that's the ony quotient I put on it. I recokon that I'm an average reader.

Thanks a lot.

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: quotient

Chris,

I didn't write the sentence, but let me try to answer your question & help you with your spelling. Quotient is a math term. When you divide one number into another number, the answer is the "quotient" or result. The quotient could be relatively large or small. In the sentence "quotient" is being used, the writer is saying that liking it is the only possible result considered. In other words, whatever the writer is referring to doesn't matter much.

Spelling: Not to embarass you, just to help...
    qutie should be quite
    recoken: recken (a southern USA term, especially Texas)

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Hi teacher:

I am not qutie sure about the meaning of the first sentence. Would you please do me a favor?

If I like it, that's the ony quotient I put on it. I recokon that I'm an average reader.

Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: quotient

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTeacher
    Chris,

I didn't write the sentence, but let me try to answer your question & help you with your spelling. Quotient is a math term. When you divide one number into another number, the answer is the "quotient" or result. The quotient could be relatively large or small. In the sentence "quotient" is being used, the writer is saying that liking it is the only possible result considered. In other words, whatever the writer is referring to doesn't matter much.

Spelling: Not to embarass you, just to help...
    qutie should be quite
    recoken: recken (a southern USA term, especially Texas)
    r-e-c-k-o-n