[General] preffixes: hyphenated or one word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ana S

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I've seen the words "presecretory" and "pre-secretory", and "postsecretory" and "post-secretory" in scientific papers published by well-known journals. How do I know which is the correct? Are there any rules?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you have seen both in scientific papers published by well-known journals, then it is fairly safe to assume that both with and without hyphen are acceptable.

Ana S

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
But is there a preferred option? I see there are many more google hits for the one word form for "presecretory". On the other hand, "post-secretory" (hyphenated) is more common than "postsecretory". Other words with the "post" preffix were also more common with the hyphen. Neither the "Chicago Manual of Style" nor the "American Medical Association Manual of Style" mention anything about the subject.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But is there a preferred option? I see there are many more google hits for the one word form for "presecretory". On the other hand, "post-secretory" (hyphenated) is more common than "postsecretory". Other words with the "post" preffix were also more common with the hyphen. Neither the "Chicago Manual of Style" nor the "American Medical Association Manual of Style" mention anything about the subject.

If google and two manuals of style can't help you, then you just may have to be satisfied with what I said before:
If you have seen both in scientific papers published by well-known journals, then it is fairly safe to assume that both with and without hyphen are acceptable. (Emphasis added.)

Status
Not open for further replies.